Menu
TracyTriumph
Settling in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unable to Connect Anymore to my Work VPN - I work for the NHS and need help asap!

Until last weekend, I could access my hospital trust's VPN with no problems from home.  Apparently, Virgin have changed my router settings and I am no longer able to access the VPN.  Which means I can no longer work from home.

I've phoned for technical help and was told that they couldn't help me and that they would have to put me through to 'Gadget Rescue Team', who would charge me money to 'fix' my problem!

My hospital's IT team have told me that they have had this same problem with all staff who have Virgin as their home broadband.  They also told me that whilst Virgin are saying that they haven't changed any router settings, they most definitely have.  I can't get any sense out of anyone at Virgin at all.

I'm very, very upset at the moment.  I've spent nearly 7 hours today trying to sort this problem out, when I should've been working and helping patients.  Nobody seems to want to help me.  I've even tried to log a complaint with Virgin but have been unable to find a way to do this online.  The links which Virgin give just send you round in circles....

Someone, please help me!!!!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to Connect Anymore to my Work VPN - I work for the NHS and need help asap!

What settings have been changed exactly?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
TracyTriumph
Settling in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to Connect Anymore to my Work VPN - I work for the NHS and need help asap!

I don't know - all I know is that I used to be able to access my hospital trust VPN, but I can now no longer do so.  However, when I use my mobile phone hotspot and try to connect my laptop to the VPN it works.  My hospital trust IT team have assured me that there is a sudden issue with Virgin Media broadband customers.  But when I speak to Virgin they deny any problem...

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ask your IT department to run a tracert from your machine to the VPN server to see where it’s failing. Although they should have done this already in their troubleshooting.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
TracyTriumph
Settling in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can they do that when I can't connect to their VPN??

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@TracyTriumph wrote:

I don't know - all I know is that I used to be able to access my hospital trust VPN, but I can now no longer do so.  However, when I use my mobile phone hotspot and try to connect my laptop to the VPN it works.  My hospital trust IT team have assured me that there is a sudden issue with Virgin Media broadband customers.  But when I speak to Virgin they deny any problem...

you're unlikely to get anywhere with virgin support.

are you the only user of broadband in your house, or do you need wifi for others?  I ask, because one thing you could try is to put your hub into modem mode and connect your laptop directly to it with an ethernet cable.. this will give you a new IP address - worth a try.. unfortunately this will mean that the hub can only provide your laptop with internet and will no longer broadcast a wifi signal.. so you may not be able to do this depending on your household..  

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@TracyTriumph wrote:

Can they do that when I can't connect to their VPN??

Yes.

A tracert basically maps out the journey it takes to get to the destination which in this case is the VPN server.

And you can see where it’s stopping or getting blocked. 

0 Kudos
TracyTriumph
Settling in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am the only user, but due to the location of the router, it won't be practical to connect via a cable to the router.

Is there another way to get a new IP address?  I've tried shutting down the router and re-starting and also, obviously, re-starting my computer.  I dont know what else to do....

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@TracyTriumph wrote:

I am the only user, but due to the location of the router, it won't be practical to connect via a cable to the router.

Is there another way to get a new IP address?  I've tried shutting down the router and re-starting and also, obviously, re-starting my computer.  I dont know what else to do....

No you can’t get a new IP.

The results of the tracert will somewhat help 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@TracyTriumph wrote:

unfortunately not.

let's try that traceroute..

open a command prompt (start->run->cmd)

in the black window, type "tracert -d vpnserver" (no quotes, and where "vpnserver" is either the IP address or hostname of the works vpn server)

Copy and paste the output back here BUT, don't post the IP address or hostname of the server - just delete that element from what you paste back.. 

0 Kudos