Menu
Mrsimmo
Settling in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ubiquiti edgerouter 12p and sh3 setup problems

Hi there!

Hope someone can help. 
I’ve just upgraded to a ubiquiti edgerouter 12p from the lte. 
I remember the setup on the lte as being really easy, but this appears to be the opposite 🙂

I’ve run the simple setup, and manually setup the wlan port as dhcp in order to connect to the hub, which is definitely running in modem mode. 

is there some other setting that’s different on the 12 that I’m missing, as I can’t get this to give internet access. 

I note that there’s a ‘switch0’ interface present on the 12, which says it’s connected, but I’m not really sure what this does..

any help really appreciated!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ubiquiti edgerouter 12p and sh3 setup problems

Have you rebooted the hub? (you need to reboot it before it will hand an IP address to a new MAC address).

On the edgerouter, what IP address does the WAN port report having? is it a public address?

0 Kudos
Mrsimmo
Settling in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hey there. 

I have rebooted it a number of times, yeah..

IP reports as public.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Mrsimmo wrote:

I have rebooted it a number of times, yeah..

ok, so apologies - i should have said not to actually post the IP address - edit it out of your post ("post options" top right of the post)

the edgerouter is getting a public address, which is good, so that's all working - it sounds like you need to configure the NAT etc - it should all be taken care of as part of the setup  - switch0 - which ports is  it reporting as being members of the switch0 group? if none, you may need to put some/all LAN ports into that group and check if it's working then.. 

0 Kudos
Mrsimmo
Settling in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ooop! Fixed IP, sorry thanks!

so, under switch0, the option was to add eth ports under the vlan. None of them were added, so I added a group and moved my computer connection to one of them, but still no internet routing. 

There’s an option ‘vlan aware’ that is unchecked...?

0 Kudos
Mrsimmo
Settling in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - the switch0 config also has ‘no address’ configured under the drop down.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So, i believe that by default, eth9 is teh WAN port. is that where you have connected the hub?

eth0-7 should be LAN ports, grouped together already.. (again, by default). 

0 Kudos
Mrsimmo
Settling in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yep. Hub definitely into eth9. 

i’m not sure where I look to confirm that 0-7 are grouped together though... sorry..!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

so, let's run through this top to bottom.

1. Connected to the 12p and configure the LAN IP address on eth0 - let's assume 192.168.1.1/24 for now

2. enable DHCP and configure dhcp range to 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200 (shrink/grow teh range according to your requirements) so that other devices that connect to the LAN will be given an appropriate address

3. Configure eth0 and eth1 to be part of the switch0 group

4. Connect hub to eth9 and it gets a public interface.

5. Navigate to firewall/NAT - add a masquerade rule and set eth9 as the outbound interface

if you connect a device to eth0 or eth1, it *should* now work - add more ports to switch0 according to your needs..

If you don't configure ports to be part of switch0 then all packets received on any interface will hit the main CPU to be routed/switched.

If you bundle ports into the switch0 group, then rather than hitting the main CPU, they will be offloaded to the dedicated switching CPU and dealt with there. 

0 Kudos
Mrsimmo
Settling in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So, on step 3, having configured the lan address in step 1, it throws an error “cannot have address configured on switch port”. 

to be clear though, when you say ‘add to the switch group”, is that by choosing config on the switch0 interface and the ‘vlan’ tab - where I can select the eth ports?

0 Kudos