Menu
Highlighted
chris0701
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ubiquiti Hifi or Google Mesh

I live in an old tenement in Edinburgh and the walls are as thick as anything so I have the most horrendous wifi. Now I've worked in broadband support before (not for VM) so I'm fully aware of how to diagnose wifi connections and no good. Wired up the internet is great and in the same room the wifi is great but go to another room and the wifi is awful.

At this point I'm looking at how to improve the wifi around my home and I'm thinking a mesh system would be ideal as we can't hard wire ethernet ports around the place. How would people compare Orbi with Google Mesh and Ubiquiti Hifi? Willing to spend around £300/350 if necessary. It would be ideal if each point could have an ethernet connection (aware the hifi extenders don't have these) but if the wifi is good enough with the Hifi may consider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ubiquiti Hifi or Google Mesh

I have always had success with Ubiquiti equipment. They have a new Amplifi router out that does WiFi6 and by all accounts it’s excellent. It has mesh available. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chris0701
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I'm very interested in the new Amplifi router. I've tried powerline extenders (TP Link AV2000) and they were rubbish (100mb with VM box one room, 60 next, 5 next; terrible) so mesh may be the way to go. I'll have a think...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chris0701
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So if anyone is reading and is interested, I decided to go for a Amplify HD setup and WOW, what a difference. On a 100mb package, in the rooms we were struggling to get a connection, we now have 60/70mb download and 10mb upload, which in an old building like I live in with mega wifi resistant walls is great.

Also very impressed with how quick the system was to setup. Just switch the VM box over to modem mode, plugged in, followed the instructions on the Amplifi app and done. Took 10 minutes to setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear of your success. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos