Menu
RickyRoma
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

UPS for HUB 3

Hi,

I've been having a few powercuts lately and it's really annoying when the Hub 3 has to reboot. I've got a UPS for working from home. The PC and 2 monitors are connected to it and it gives me 20mins or so to shut down things efficiently in case of power loss. 

Unfortunately the Hub 3 (modem mode) and DIR 878 router are in a different room. I guess they wouldn't need to be plugged into a big 240v UPS like in my office, but would anyone be able to recommend a UPS that would be handle these 2 (12v I guess) devices?

Thanks

RR

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: UPS for HUB 3

i use a dc UPS for my network
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uninterruptible-100V-240V-8800mAH-Portable-Wireless-UPS-BLACK/dp/B07R4FGWDX...

but remember is the area loses power so might the green boxes

RickyRoma
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ahh, so it's not a given that the Virgin line in would still have power? It was a fairly large outage affecting a good few streets

That looks a neat wee device but can you plug Hub 3 and Router into it at same time? I only see one output?

Up until this year I've always just flipped over onto my phone's mobile hotspot when power cuts. But both times it has happened in last year I can't get onto 4G...I think the area mast must be at it's max capacity and with everyone at home I guess all their mobile devices will automatically flip to 4G at the same time.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah typically Virgin goes with the most power cuts.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
RickyRoma
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do the fibre internet providers normally lose power too?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I know that Openreach FTTC cabs have a backup battery, I haven't looked at their FTTP products.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM cabs have backup batteries as well. BUt they fail. are expensive to maintain and replace and often fail and never get fixed.

I'd assume BT cabs are or will get into the same state.

UPS batteries should be tested often and replaced every 3 years.
If they cost £100 each and you have 100,000 of them that's £3.3 millions/year.
0 Kudos