Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

UK Virgin media wanting to change to a mesh network. Which kit is best?

I’m in the UK and am currently a virgin media 200mb broadband customer using their Hub 3.0. Our house is fairly large and i’ve given up on powerline adapters and repeaters in order to get good wifi across both floors. Also it would be great if it was just all one network,

After a bit of research it looks like my best bet it to get a couple of mesh network routers. I was looking at Ubiquity initially. If i went with them i’d look at getting them both mounted onto ceilings, one on the ground floor and one on the first floor with ethernet cables (poe) connected to them both. Which ubiquity router would people recommend? In the first instance if i can only get the ethernet to the downstairs router is ‘repeater’ mode any good for the upstairs router?

Its a 4 bed house so not enormous but quite long. We dont need them for very heavy use, just decent video streaming in all corners of the house. Devices we mainly use are laptops, and smartphones, also a chromecast. I’m trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Alternatively I guess I could go for a couple of google wifi routers? Could i just ethernet to the ground floor one? What is the benefit VS Ubiquity?

With both of these options I guess i keep the virgin hub 3.0 in modem mode? If at any point in the future i switched to a sky internet package would ubiquity/ google wifi still be compatible?

Sorry for the million questions, i have searched for the answers but i thought i’d write down my specific requirements and ask the experts!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: UK Virgin media wanting to change to a mesh network. Which kit is best?

Depends on your needs, if you need up to 150mb the bt mini discs are good value

If you want 250+ then a tri band mesh system would be better.

Once you buy them they work with any ISP

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good advice from jb66 - but there are quite a few Ubiquiti enthusiasts who patrol these fora and 1 or 2 should be along soon and give you the benefits of their experience - usually - glowingly positive.
I would say that a good single router with wired access points is always going to beat all but a top-end Mesh system for wifi performance.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Look at the Ubiquiti Unifi range of WAPs and routers. They also have some WiFi 6 WAPs in the pipeline, they are being beta tested at the moment, they call it “early access”. The Unifi routers are only routers so you would also need a network switch. Unifi provide free software, that runs on any Windows, Mac or Linux box, including Raspberry Pis and also on a small bit of their hardware called a Cloud Key 2.

I’m currently using:

Unifi Cloud Key2+
Unifi Security Gateway 4 (router)

2 x UAP AC Pro’s (WAPs)

1 x 16 Port PoE 150w switch

2 x 8 Port PoE 60w switches

4 x G3 caneras

1 x G3 flex camera.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos