Menu
Blujelly256
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Two Connections

So I noticed my speed was halved on my Deco M5 (only recently) so I thought I’d try and switch router mode off on my virgin media hub and use the Deco as an AP instead.

This has all swapped over fine but I’ve noticed I’ve now got 2 networks that I can connect to both my Deco and Virgin media hub. Am I wrong in saying they’re should just technically be the VM showing available, as the deco is only acting as a mesh extender so too speak? If both are showing, does it still mater if everything still joins into the Deco system?

I’ve also noticed noticed since the change of the above, if my iPhone connects to a AP that isn’t the ‘main deco’, the speed drops to about 200mbs on average rather then 350mbs.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Two Connections

so just to clarify, you were previously runing the hub in modem mode with the deco acting as a router, and now you've reverted the hub to being a router and have put the deco into AP/Bridge mode?

This is a viable setup, though you should really disable the wifi broadcast from the hub so as to reduce interference in your house.. The deco won't "extend" the VM network, it will create it's own, but rather than act as a router too, it will just act as a wifi bridge/access point onto the network provided by the hub (so the hub will be doing DHCP, NAT etc.. the deco's just provide the wifi).

0 Kudos
Blujelly256
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@tehwolf wrote:

so just to clarify, you were previously runing the hub in modem mode with the deco acting as a router, and now you've reverted the hub to being a router and have put the deco into AP/Bridge mode?

Correct, ok I’ve disabled the VM WiFi

Any reason as to why the WiFi will drop speed by about 150 if it’s not connected to the main deco hub

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

it is having to relay between the node you're connected to and the primary node.. the M5 does not have a dedicated backhaul radio, so it's doing the backhaul over the same radio that all of your devices are connected to.. i am not familiar enough with the deco system to know, but maybe you can see what speed the second unit has negotiated with the main one in the deco app? perhaps repositioning them will improve speeds.. 

0 Kudos
Blujelly256
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok so basically tri band mesh would have been better!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Blujelly256 wrote:

Ah ok so basically tri band mesh would have been better!

yup, and more expensive too! 🙂

0 Kudos
Blujelly256
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So I’ve seen 😂 I honestly didn’t think it would make that much of a difference, I’m not 100% clued up on this I just knew the VM hub is duel so I kinda aimed for the same

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Blujelly256 wrote:

So I’ve seen 😂 I honestly didn’t think it would make that much of a difference, I’m not 100% clued up on this I just knew the VM hub is duel so I kinda aimed for the same

The M5 is a decent mesh.. 150mb is still plenty though... i dunno, maybe I'm spoiled, as i have most stuff wired into my network, so wifi is just for convenience when sat on the sofa with a laptop, or using phone/tablet etc.. so i don't do any heavy downloading over wireless - and don't really care what my wireless speed is, as long as it's reliable.. (that said, last time i checked my wireless never dipped below 100mb anywhere in the house.. with a lot of places at 400, so it's not exactly poor :D) 

0 Kudos
Blujelly256
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

😂 exactly! With mesh would you recommend using them as AP over them being the main router?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

i'd also say, you're better off reverting to the previous configuration; putting the hub in modem mode and running the deco as the router.. i mean, the hub is a piece of junk and the deco is way better.

0 Kudos