Menu
Leejones1980
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tv to my summerhouse.

Hi, only just joined this. Sorry if this has been asked before. 
I want to run VM to my summerhouse 40m away to watch all the channels in there. 
can I just run an Ethernet cable cat6 from my hub3 box  in the house to a v6 TiVo box that will be in the summerhouse. Then a Ethernet cable from the box to my tv? To give me all the channels? I’m not to fussed about having internet up there. In time there will be full electricity run to it from the house with spare sockets ect. 
Ps the summerhouse gets installed in a couple of weeks. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv to my summerhouse.

Is it a V6 or a TiVo box? There’s a difference between the two. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

I am afraid that as well as a network connection all VM TV boxes also require VM installed coaxial cable as well as require a VM TV box. .

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Leejones1980
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Argh ok, didn’t realise that. Back to planning again then! 
ive got a reel of coax cable so will I need to use a splitter then run it to the summerhouse with the Ethernet cable? Would that work? If not I best get someone in to do it for me as I’m not very good with tech! 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will break the T & Cs of your contract if you use after market co-ax, and may be charged for any work done to rectify local area issues caused by using said cable.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Leejones1980 wrote:

ive got a reel of coax cable so will I need to use a splitter then run it to the summerhouse with the Ethernet cable? Would that work? If not I best get someone in to do it for me as I’m not very good with tech! 

Virgin need to install any coax and splitters etc. They won’t run the Ethernet cable for you though so you’d need to do that part.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Leejones1980 wrote:

Virgin will need to do it - you can't run the coax yourself (or have another contractor do it). 

Depending on which channels you use, you could run ethernet down there and use something like a fire tv stick for any/all on-demand apps (including live tv from terrestrial services via their apps - iplayer etc..) - not as convenient as having a fully fledged tivo box down there, i grant you, but VM will charge you £99 for a non-fault call-out as well as on-going rental for a multi-room setup.. just a thought. 

Leejones1980
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the replies. 

yes I have a fire stick I can put in there and run an Ethernet cable. 
I didn’t realise there was a difference between the V6 and TiVo boxes  my boxes are TiVo boxes.

ive got a couple of weeks to get it sorted out  think I’ll get someone in that knows what they are doing  lol

thanks all  

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Leejones1980 wrote:

Thank you for the replies. 

yes I have a fire stick I can put in there and run an Ethernet cable. 
I didn’t realise there was a difference between the V6 and TiVo boxes  my boxes are TiVo boxes.

ive got a couple of weeks to get it sorted out  think I’ll get someone in that knows what they are doing  lol

thanks all  

You’ll need a Virgin engineer to run the coax for the TiVo.

And a sparky to run the Ethernet. 

0 Kudos