Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Turning wifi off for certain devises in childrens bedrooms

How can I turn off Wifi for certain devices in children's bedrooms (for example Alexa and smart TV) regularly at night, for example, 10pm each evening and back on again at 7am? I have the Virgin Connect App, but it only allows me to manually pause the connection which is a nuisance doing this evening and morning every day.

Or can anyone recommend what to purchase which will do this? Keeping costs low as possible.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Turning wifi off for certain devises in childrens bedrooms

Hello

Have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering which explains how to do it you will need to set it up as time limited.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'm just doing this now. I have found the Alexa MAC address. Will I find his TV on the list of decides? (I have so many devises!), if not I could maybe turn off the wifi extender he has in his room instead (although then he'd just connect his Tv to the main router).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Any device that is connected to the hub either direct or thrrough a booster will show on the hub, so you should be able to find them, if you cannot find which one it is normally the MAC will be printed on a sticker on the back of the device, or you can check in the settings on the device.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I found the Amazon Echo Dot and the TV's MAC addresses on the devises, but for some reason, they are NOT showing up in the routers MAC list? I went right through all the MAC addresses, checked them, and changed there names to the devise name to make it easier for reference. Could he have hidden them somehow? (he's 15 and studying computer science-so very good!). He has a BT wifi extender in his room,but if I turn that off he'll just connect to the router or another wifi extender.

Also can I filter it to have different timings for different devises? say TV for 10pm and Amazon echo dot for 11pm? On looking at the settings I wasn't sure if this could be done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I had the same issues when my kids were in their teens. The Hub I had then was useless for doing this (looks like they havent improved much) !

But I always used my own third party wireless router which is built to do exactly the task you want to do. I set time windows on different days for all of my kids different devices - it worked!

If you cant get the Hub to do what you want (not sure if it will) - then consider getting a wifi router that does - even "basic" ones should do it.

Be aware though that it is quite difficult to deter a tech savvy teenager from finding "workarounds" for anything you do - so you may need to put in further "deterrents".

For example if they "know" the default wifi and admin settings Passwords for the Hub/Router they can always reset it and bypass the blocks. To stop that I took photos (my phone only!) of the Hub and Router stickers and then burnt them (stickers!) ! I never had to go up to Defcom2 and sleep with the unplugged Hub/Router under my pillow 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

This cheered me up - sooo funny! My child is a computing genius, he can even code his own games, so I'm sure at some point he'll find the passwords and change the settings, he knows the passwords for everything else!

Also, I think, it seems every time the Hub has been reset I'd need to re-set the devices on it again- that's a nuisance! Dont want to pay a lot of another router (they can be expensive), I'll have a look in Currys PC World. We also have an ethernet cable from the Hub which travels a long way down the garden to a cabin at the end with an additional router in there for his Playstation, would I keep that connected to the Hub or plug it in the new router!?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Glad I brightened your day 🙂

Top end routers can be north of £300 but good introductory ones can be had for less than £50 - obviously these will have less functionality but I am sure they will have better parental controls than the VM Hub!. Some examples are below - just see if they have the control features for limiting access that you need. If not just look at a few others from Asus, TP-Link, Netgear, etc. - in the £80-150 range will be very well specced

Once you get one, then the Hub goes into modem mode and only one ethernet port will work and that connects into the new router - so - yes, all connections must then come from the ports on the new router - simple cable swap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC10U-1200Mbps-Dual-band-Power-saving/dp/B07C7Y9G96/

https://www.alza.co.uk/zyxel-nbg6615-d5481208.htm?o=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

That makes sense about putting it into modem mode and moving the cable to new router. I need a router that works well through solid walls.  We've had terrible trouble with blackspots and signal strength over the years with Virgin (we live in a 1950's fairly large extended 3 bed house). We've ended up getting a few wifi extenders dotted around which seems to have helped a bit. If you think those routers might be suitable I'll have a look, thanks!

Honestly, wish i'd done this years ago, we've battled with him for such a long time over this (he has Aspergers and gets very obsessed about listening to podcasts on Alexa or a video on uTube etc), I'm fed up of having to ask for his remote control every evening and it causing arguments. Now he might actually get a good nights sleep!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

There is another option - a Mesh system. These are designed for distributing wifi around problematic houses and will almost certainly be better at that than a stand alone wifi router which might still need "extending" - but powerful ones may not.

Below are some thoughts I have posted before - take a look before and weigh up the pro's and cons before you decide on a wifi router or Mesh. Note that on a Mesh the first unit is the "router" so check it has the functions you need. They also tend to be a touch pricier as you are getting "several" units.

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£50-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat.

Good options for Access points are from Ubiquiti, (routers also) and also, from these companies - for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems from: Asus, TP-Link (Deco's M4/M5), Linksys (Velop's), Tenda (Nova's), Netgear (Orbi's) and many others. I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latleys like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports and dont shout that from the houses.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. The Deco M4 2-pack is around £60 and would be a good start although the units are designed for smaller properties and dont look as cool as the M5's.

Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s) at a later date

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------