Menu
theMadTitan
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try to improve signal strength for ring device

Hello, 

So i recently purchased a ring doorbell and the doorbell is pretty far from the router so I purchased a wifi-extender which did not help at all as the devices connected was really slow.

I decided to buy a the Asus router RT-AC86U and put the hub3 into modem mode, while it did improve download speeds over wi-fi from 40 Mbps to 200 Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band and 100 Mbps to 520 Mbps on the 5Ghz band. I'm still having issues with poor signal strength.

The ring door bell has a signal strength RSSI of 62 and it some times goes to 72 which causes some issues.

What i was thinking of doing is taking the hub3 out of modem mode and put the asus router downstairs and connect them both through powerline Ethernet, the asus router will be used as a access point with the exact same ssid names as the hub3.

Will this solution work? and will the devices smartly switch from the hub3 to the asus for the best signal as i move round the house?   

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Try to improve signal strength for ring device

It will work okay, but by using powerline adaptors, you will not get the same speeds.

As for seamless roaming,  that should work as well in theory depending on the connected devices.

jpeg1
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Powerline extenders are a bodge. Get yourself a mesh system, and put one of the units near the door. There are plenty of systems to choose from.

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The ASUS you have is already capable of participating in an ASUS AI mesh.. you could buy another AI mesh enabled ASUS and do as @jpeg1 suggests. 

theMadTitan
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I do plan on getting another Asus router sometime soon so i can use the AI mesh feature. But I just need a quick solution for the time being until I order another one.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@theMadTitan wrote:
I do plan on getting another Asus router sometime soon so i can use the AI mesh feature. But I just need a quick solution for the time being until I order another one.

Well if you have power line adapters knocking about and only plan to use them on a temporary basis then go for it.. 😉

0 Kudos