Menu
mork23
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tri-Band Router verus Mesh

Hi,

I'm due to receive M500 next week.  We already have a large number of devices which knocked out the previous Vodafone Hub and is challenging the current one.  Therefore, I'm weighing up going for either of the above.  In an ideal world I'd go WIFI 6 Tri-Band but I'm not sure I'm prepared to put that much money in to it.  I think I want Tri-Band to fully make use of the additional bandwidth and mesh potentially allows me to fix some ports (my sons pc) but I'm not sure I fully need it.  I'm in a standard sized 3 bed detached but the Router will be sat at the front of the house on the ground floor so I would like a little more coverage.  Have been looking at Deco's and ASUS Routers - would prefer to stick to a known brand.

Appreciate any suggestions.  TIA.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tri-Band Router verus Mesh

What's your budget ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mork23
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

£250 ideally - £300 at a push.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

IMO unless you have lot of Wi-Fi 6 clients already at home its waste. Be many years before everything in house is Wi-Fi 6.

For M500 decent triple Wi-Fi 5 over a dual band Wi-Fi 6. The Netgear RBK50 triple band was the top of the ladder and expensive when released but now great value for money at £229. Do your own google reviews 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ultimate-System-Satellite-Extender/dp/B01KVRRSNI/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1J...

sayekm_0-1613222788369.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
ukdavej
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I put a Netgear RBK 50 MESH system in last week attached to Hub3 in modem only mode. So far stable with almost full speeds over WiFi everywhere in the house. Easy to install but not the best looking piece of kit in the world however I can live with it as it has solved so many issues for me.

mork23
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the feedback.  I was a little concerned with some of the reviews on the RBK50.  Are they really as big as they look??  I suppose nothing is really discrete these days!

Are you using Sky Q by any chance and does it perform ok?  Obviously a few issues to work with if going down the Deco route.

0 Kudos
ukdavej
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don’t have Sky Q so not familiar with any known issues. My smart TVs absolutely fly though now, Netflix etc is instant  I don’t even see the loading screens now.

yes, they are quite big (about 10 inches high by 6 inches wide at the base) and a hideous off white colour (would be much better in black) but I can live with it for the untold benefits I’m seeing so far. I have my router and the main Orbi unit in an upstairs bedroom so that’s not an issue and the satellite in the living room is concealed behind my TV

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All recent Apple gear is wifi6 compliant

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mork23
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've not see any apple options funnily enough - which are you referring to? 

I must admit I'm leaning towards the Deco M9s due to their discretional size.  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I meant the receiving devices - not the transmitting ones 🙂

iPhones, Macbooks, iMacs etc. can get the increased speeds if you have a wifi6 "transmitter" my old Apple Airport Extreme doesnt 😞

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos