cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total off of service in a 3 geographically sparse postcodes

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

At 12AM today till 4 AM I had a total loss of connectivity.

This was a major problem, as not only did I loose TV, lights, and all control over the network, it meant that the offsite backup could not take place.

I’ve been speaking to a CEO of an alt Net this week about getting leased lines fitted to customers and standard FTTP lines installed which he has shown me the stats of. I have even seen a friends who uses such connection which is simply perfect, no drops no high latency and simply more reliable.

Now it is the end of my contact in November (realistically October due to the one month cancel time) i feel there is no way to continue when looking at the operational time.

if VM want to carry out maintenance they should give advanced notice and UPTATE THE SERVICE STATUS LINE!

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Loss of all TV & lights ? Did you have a broadband outage or a power cut ?

I had a loss of broadband which in turn, turns off the lights as there is a fully integrated solution.

This also mean that the police were contacted automatically via the 4G / cellular backup on the alarm system as it is enabled at night, so basically if there is a outage for longer than 15 mins (it is considered as tampering (e.g. cable cutting (as it has been done before)) and if no action is taken to disable the alarm (it is silent during certain hours / modes, as you would normally know if there is a problem), meaning I had armed police at my door at 2AM.

If there was a power cut they would not have been called as the network would have stayed operational, avoiding such issue, if VM warned of such maintenance I wouldn't have to get ID out to prove I am who i say I am at that time in the morning.

IMG_6411.JPG

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Certainly one of the more interesting and unusual topics which have been posted on here in a while.

Hi @RR-IT-GUY 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear of this issue with your service and your alarm system. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to do our best to help. To best look into this, I have sent you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps it might be a good idea to get a sim backup addition to your alarm, seems totally overkill that the armed police gets called if your Broadband drops for 15mins considering its just a residential broadband connection

The alarm system is on sim backup hence why it used mobile to “dial out”

At the moment the local “campers” are in the park opposite, their presence has posed some concern hence why security in the whole estate has been heightened.

Next door has the same setup and that also called out at the same time  

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Too many false alarms might get you downgraded to a no-response from the police. If the primary signalling path is down but the secondary path is working, and there is no alarm condition triggered, why is the alarm monitoring centre not phoning you first as a check if there is a problem/false alarm before calling the police out as an emergency call?