Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Too strong signal at neighbour's address

A neighbour has a son-in-law who works for Virgin Media and who did his wiring for him, and for four to five years their signal has been too strong as it comes through the wall and affects me this side, causing headaches, and static etc...also pointing to the fact that it has not been wired up properly; also, I was told by the neighbour, that he has a Virgin Media set-up installed into a Eurobell router, which doesn't sound right.

I had contacted Virgin Media about his overly strong signal many times and was told they had checked to see if all was well, yet not true, if it is that the neighbour is being honest about the Eurobell router because a representative running the checks, if telling the truth, would have pointed that out as a possible problem.

The equipment also causes major surges of power to the house. Virgin Media have been told all of this, and I have followed Resolver - an online complaint's process - which the company simply ignored.

Is it not illegal to ignore safety concerns raised and further to allow Virgin Media engineers to carry out work on their family-member's installation presumably on the cheap - I say "presumably" because to wire up a Virgin Media set up into a Eurobell router sounds as if it is a way of being able to veer away from spending money on a proper installation of Virgin Media equipment.

I wrote in to various managers at Virgin Media prior to other forms of correspondence via email to which we received no constructive reply.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Too strong signal at neighbour's address

the wifi isn't something VM can control.

If you feel its over powered that is a problem for ofcom but they are not going to do anything.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Download and install a Wi-Fi analyser such as inSSIDer.

This will show you all the Wi-Fi signals that can be picked up by your PC Wi-Fi card.

If it is so powerful that it is affecting your health maybe a trip to your local H&S people may be called for.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Dialled in
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Tried the health angle to gain results to show - no proper tests were run. Thanks for the tech-tip.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

its very unlikely any 2.4ghz and 5ghz is going to have any health effects.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I think the company should look into it - the electrical effects on top of my own headachey reactions, such as static, suggests incorrect installation. I'm not exaggerating when I say that we have had to move out of the house, at times. We have also had major electrical-surge issues. The effects are the case when the neighbour is awake next-door, not when he is out or - for the most part - during overnight hours.

True about Ofcom, they only look at patterns of complaints over time, apparently, according to them. Also, ombudsman services will not look at technical complaints, either. The neighbours have been approached - a no-go. The router being a Eurobell router is a guess only as to what the problem might be. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
its very unlikely any 2.4ghz and 5ghz is going to have any health effects.

Totally agree, but we don't know the individual circumstances.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I came back to the idea of it being an actual wifi signal that could be the issue because of an online blog:

https://migraine.com/topic/computer-wifi-wireless-is-a-cause-for-me/

However, this is one of the concerns, that the signal is not just a wifi-issue but something strong being emitted. The effects from this come through the wall very powerfully and I do not think it is because I have to high a sensitivity to such things. I do have one, but it is not extreme. I have had our own wifi in the past and we have mobile communications now, and these do not affect anything. I have had a computer with a lot of equipment plugged into it and more than one monitor and adaptors plugged into adaptors but these did not affect me in this way. if one stands underneath the overhead (telecommunication) wires running to the neighbour's property, anyone - at certain times - would feel intense and very sharp static emitted. You move out the way, no static and no problem. I even took up our own external wires to make sure the problem was not our own connection.

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Some people suffer with EHS, but that is more on the electronic side of things. I've read up on it in the past. Logically general wifi signals could (and i use that term loosely) cause EHS but you couldn't tell neighbours to stop using wifi because you suffer with proven EHS.

Bit of a grey area really and would need much more investigation that anyone could offer on here.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to mention when posting, I tried placing up shielding on the wall which worked to a large degree. I took it down because it was messy. However, at certain times, three layers of shielding, supposed to stop wifi-type signal did not stop it altogether. 

...this is why I think, come to think of it, the blog is not completely relevant and neither is the issue simply wifi-signal but incorrect installation. 

It might be possible that a signal-booster is being used. Maybe such products have not been tested to such a degree that would indicate their safety-levels as reasonable for residential areas.

0 Kudos