cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonies box

danpatriley
Joining in

Hello,

My child's Tonies box won't connect to the wifi. I am assuming that this is as it will only connect to 2.4hz wifi (and mine is presumably set to 5) 

I saw on another thread - which i couldn't reply to - that there's a way to split the signal. Can someone post instructions for this and will this affect the wifi speed for other devices?

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

You Hub should already be transmitting on both 2.4 & 5 Ghz.

https://support.tonies.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360017336000-How-do-I-set-up-my-Toniebox-

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you still need to split the bands, see below.  Note if you use Pods, this will stop them working !

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.
• Disable the Smart Optimisation on the wifi bands.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Splitting bands is a work around for VM Hubs that are not working correctly and it is a work around that is only available to customers that do not have VM Pods where band splitting is not supported.

Splitting bands is nothing at all to do with the customers 2.4Ghz device having issues.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @danpatriley thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome!

We wouldn't advise generally splitting the frequencies but it can sometimes offer the solution that customers are after, did this work for you please?

If you nee any further support, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom - how do you do this and how might it affect the wifi?

Hi @danpatriley thanks for your reply.

@Adduxi has provided the best breakdown of instructions so there is no need for me to repeat them, you can follow them if you wish!
However, as a summary, the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks are integrated as one in your usual network, and your devices pick the appropriate one that's best for it.

The 5ghz is a faster frequency, but a close-ranging one so when you're not nearer the Hub, your devices pick up the slower 2.4ghz one (but further ranging) if that makes sense.

However, due to technology (or lack of it), certain devices can only connect to the 2.4ghz and when they're linked together, can struggle to pick out the 2.4 one when the 5ghz is integrated, as you've mentioned here.

When they're split, you might notice that your signal drops on devices that are connected to the 5ghz and move from the Hub, and you'd need to connect to the 2.4 manually. On the flip side, when you're on the 2.4ghz frequency, we'd advise connecting to the 5ghz when closer to the Hub for quicker speeds.

We hope this helps!
Many thanks

Tom_W

thanks - I tried numerous times the other evening and the following mornign to connect and when it came to adding the password for the wifi it seemed to crash - perhaps it was just a problem their end with the software and so I shall try again before splitting the bands - appreciate your help 

Hi @danpatriley thanks for your quick reply.

No problem at all, please let us know how you get on or if you need any further help!
Many thanks

Tom_W