Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo 6 & Netgear PL1000

Feb 2018 upgraded to TiVo 6 and Netgear PL1000 but without Wifi. Made a brief investigation and now regret not upgrading to a PL 1000 version with Wifi.

Now wife wants to use Zoom et al remote from the Hub 3.0. Virgin website difficult to access and not  impressed with Netgear Help on their website's attitude to queries.

Would be grateful for help in replacing or augmenting the remote PL1000 next to the TiVo and TV and elsewhere in out 1914 brick built house.

Hope I've provided sufficient info. Surprised to find that the TV & TiVo are working on a "Separate" electric circuit as is upstairs but a common circuit breaker box.

Thanks in anticipation from an 83 yr old chartered Mechanical Engineer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo 6 & Netgear PL1000

Virgin no longer sell the pl1000 or the wifi counterpart.  They now rent "boosters" which is the same thing.  You can try ordering them through the virgin connect app or calling up

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As I understand it - the PL1000 is a" powerline adapter" - is that correct? Then they should be fine on the same circuit - assuming that your electric circuits are in good shape with no "noise". Most house (mine) have sepearte circuits for upstairs and downstairs but go through the same fuse box/consumer unit and so are in reality "connected" and do work (mine do!).

Should be ok to use to connect the V6 to the Hub with short Cat5e/6 ethernet cables. So were they working ok recently and perhaps just given up the ghost - as jb66 says?    Maybe the ethernet cables need changing ?    Have you tried pinhole resetting the Netgear's and setting up again?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful replies

The PL 1000s appear to be working fine, the one close to the Hub and plugged into the mains is connected to the hub with a network cable. The remote PL1000 is plugged into the mains some 3 rooms away and connected to the TV via a cable and allows us to reach various playback TV functions. Unfortunately there is no WiFi.

It seems I'll have to source another make of WiFi device that can plug into the mains at other places to hopefully pick up the signal passing through the mains from the hub via the PL 1000 system. Or am I living in cloud cuckoo land and should "discard" the PL 1000s and use a similar system  to the present work of the PL1000s plus WiFi around the house.

Best thanks for info given and for anticipated extra info - should have been clearer at the start - apologies.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are lots of options for improving your whole home wifi coverage. what you go for depends on many and obvious factors - probably most relevant is your budget and house size/construction. Powerlines do work but they inherently attenuate speeds and depend on the quality of your mains wiring.

A reasonable intro wifi device can be had for around £40 - I would say the sweet spot to get a standard 3 bed semi sorted is ~£150 - whilst the "hardcore" users (gamers!) will invest up to £300-400.

If you post up some info we could give you a few pointers on what to look at and ease of set up etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks  John. Sorry, difficult times, got diverted again but am beginning to understand the situation. - takes time to sink in for an octogenarian..

The Netgear PL1000 must go in order to obtain WiFi as well as LAN in remote parts of the house.

I think  the TL-WPA8630 P V2 Kit is the answer for remote WiFi as well as LAN for the TIVO TV etc., providing It's allowed by Virgin, and it works with Super Hub 3. Very difficult to get  to Virgin on 151 for answers. The two unit kit alone should be OK - our mobiles show  strong WiFi upstairs, so, may never need an additional remote unit there for  WiFi - LAN would be another story.

Please, does anyone know if the WPA8630 or similar is available via Virgin as multiple 15 min waits on  151  by phone get me nowhere.

Sorry this has gone on for so long, I now need to bring things to a conclusion as my wife is intent on obtaining a cheapish laptop even though I've brought her Win 7 Home PC back to life and am about nervously to update hers and later mine to Win 10..

So, is the WPA8630 Kit OK/acceptable with the S Hub 3; initially with Win 7 and soon updating to Win 10 (Home for wife's PC and Pro for my PC).

Thanks again for all the responses which are much appreciated..

Graham 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Its your call of course, but I wouldn't pay £120 for what is essentially a pair of powerline extenders with wifi - no matter how good the reviews are - they are subject to so many vagaries !

For £100-150 you would get a much better, newer type of wifi extender system - an introductory Mesh system - which would be easier to set up and give better coverage. A bit of introductory blurb from another post is copied below - but just for info. - I dont actually have a mesh system but lots on here do and hopefully someone will comment.

-------
A Mesh is usually 3-5 (you can just add on more later should you need them) units that distribute the wifi signal around the house. Unit one plugs into the Hub by a short ethernet cable. Subsequent units you plug in around the house as needed. They all usually have some "strength indicators" on them so that you know you have the optimal location for each unit. They just plug in as normal but dont need ethernet connections. One slight variable is that some of them have the first unit as a router to replace the Hub doing that work - so you need to put the Hub into modem mode and the unit takes over that duty. Its almost certainly going to be better than the Hub's router but it often means that the ethernet connections will be limited to one port on the mesh - so if you need more then you just plug that into a 5-8 GB port unmanaged switch (<£20) and then additional ethernet connections come from there. Your choice really.

Good options are TP-Link Deco's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's - stick with well known companies like these,  whose business this is - rather than johnnie come lately's like Google, BT, Amazon etc.

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout, reviews and budget. Post again if you want personal recommendations on your short list from folks on here.

--------------------
John
--------------------