Menu
Gorf
Super solver
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Throttling one user

Is it possible with a Superhub 2ac to restrict one IP address to a maximum bandwidth? He's wired directly into the superhub ethernet port and as soon as he hosts a gaming session, everyone else in the house grinds to a halt.

0 Kudos
Gorf
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Throttling one user

I should perhaps have clarified - throttling his speed, not his neck with an ethernet cable. The latter is a last resort.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

not with teh hub, no.

with a 3rd party router, yes.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yep, it’s the last resort or nothing!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You could set his NIC to 10Mb.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Gorf wrote:

I should perhaps have clarified - throttling his speed, not his neck with an ethernet cable. The latter is a last resort.

I have a 13 year old son who came down with a broken bluetooth keyboard at the weekend..

Told me he 'dropped it'

Yup - right! Was playing bedwars and got a lag spike and smacked the kbd so hard he broke the space bar!

This is why I made him buy a keyboard to plug into his laptop - had he done that on the lappy - bye by lappy!

I can certainly relate to wanting to throttle them with ethernet cables - (Unless it is a good cat6 - wouldn't want to waste that!!)

*Disclaimer - I didn't and have never throttled him - I banned him from gaming for a week for lying to me! Had he been honest, I'd have just said "well that's £10 of your money you've wasted - maybe you'll think more before getting cross with a game!

Anyway sorry for the Off topic!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos