Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Three wired access points

I am wondering if its possible for virgin to come out and install 3 wired access points, 2 in two rooms upstairs. 1 in a room the other end of the house. So basically ethernet ports. Mainly because powerline adapters are not stable or fast on the houses electrics and whilst the wireless is often fine. I find 5Ghz to be mostly unstable and often disappears from the list of networks all together.

If there is a way to do this how do i go about it, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Three wired access points

@connorp0601 wrote:

I am wondering if its possible for virgin to come out and install 3 wired access points, 2 in two rooms upstairs. 1 in a room the other end of the house. So basically ethernet ports. Mainly because powerline adapters are not stable or fast on the houses electrics and whilst the wireless is often fine. I find 5Ghz to be mostly unstable and often disappears from the list of networks all together.

If there is a way to do this how do i go about it, thanks.

VM won't do this.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin won’t, no.

You can use a local sparky to run the cabling though to where you need them to be then install them yourself. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As others have said. You need to either install yourself or get someone who knows what they are doing to install for you.

My personal recommendation (all location dependant) is that you install a small patch panel with 6a or better to a wall socket. There after connect patch cables between pannel or wall socket to access point and router. 

Logic is expense is labour. So future proof with cable good for a 10meg network.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I know of people who have had this done in the last year by virgin. Is it worth a call do you think?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I know of people who have had this done in the last year by virgin”. VM have NEVER installed Ethernet cable for customers. Possibly, but I think it highly unlikely, that it was done by a VM technician out-of-hours for a fee.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2