Flag for a moderator

Terrible wifi, pretty much unusable. Need help

Hey all,

My wifi is virtually unusable and I'd really like some help. Some basics:

• Home Hub 3.0
  • 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled
  • Channel set to auto
  • Channel optimisation enabled

The internet connection itself appears to be rock solid. A quick test just now on speedtest.net gave me download speeds of 93.5mb/s and upload of 9.9mb/s even over wifi, with this computer roughly 5 feet from the router.

To the problems.

If I get more than 15 feet away, in any direction, I lose connection to the internet. There isn't a degradation in speed, it just conks, even with direct line of sight. I've verified this with three separate devices (mac, iPhone, iPad). The devices report full internet signal strength, but they lose all connection to the internet. This basically means that I really struggle to use any internet connected device anywhere in my house other than the living room.

Walls and floor/ceiling construction don't seem relevant since this occurs even with line of site, but the same problem happens if I go upstairs and try to use the internet from my bedroom, probably 9 feet or so from the router vertically and with a few floor boards and a carpet in the way.

In addition. even sat 4 feet away, I regularly disconnect from conference calls when WFH or everyone sounds like a darlek. Other participants on the call experience no issues.

Please can someone help?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible wifi, pretty much unusable. Need help

Do you mean that you separated the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub3 and also switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.?

If that doesnt sort it then VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Squawk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SSIDs - No not separated, I just have both frequencies enabled (thought may be of interest). I can give it a whirl. 

I'm on the 100mb package so would have to pay, but I deem a 10 foot semi-working wifi range as not acceptable and hope Virgin will provide an option for me. I'm loathe to buy wifi kit from Virgin because the wifi kit they provide isn't up to it. 

I did try and switch the router to modem mode so that I could use my old sky router for wifi, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

unlike BT who will give you £100 if not reliable wi-fi in every room
https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi
VM don't do that and likely can't because all hubs wifi is bad that and they don't guarantee wifi so VM will not help you for free.

Get a better router (your sky router may not have a WAN port) with 1Gb ports and use modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And BT charge you £10/month for complete home wifi - which is just a set of 3 of their own make disks you could buy on Amazon

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Squawk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So to add insult to injury, shortly after I created this thread Virgin sent me an email to tell me that my hub 3 wifi had been upgraded to give me even greater reliability...

No, it hasn't, it's next to useless.

I ran the in router diagnostic tool and got the below. So, apparently there is some issue, but it doesn't tell me what. (Virgin apparently checking to make sure the image is safe, so it isn't displaying yet. I can tell you that it lists 4 categories. Broadband, telephony, ethernet and wifi. Broadband and ethernet are green, telephony is red (I don't have anything connected, that's fine) and wifi is red). 

Squawk_0-1613914161683.png

Next steps? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Use a wired connection or get your own better Wifi kit. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos