cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible broadband connection for the last week

juarez1916
Tuning in

My broadband has been terrible for the last week, ever since going off completely for 18 hours last Friday and again on Sunday. An engineer replaced the hub for a brand new one yesterday, but this made no difference. You can see from the screenshots all the packet loss which is happening:

image.pngthinkbroadband.png

I have another engineer coming next Weds but it seems obvious the hub is not the problem. It seems like I'm connected to a dodgy, overloaded server at Virgin HQ. Are there any Virgin staff who can at least check if the problem is at Virgin HQ?

I had exactly the same degraded performance about a month ago but it magically got better by itself. Now it's back.

The weird thing is, my mobile internet, also Virgin, is suffering a very similar problem, slow to load pages, can't find servers, losing 4G connection, though not quite as bad as the broadband. It could be the mobile signal, however the 4G was perfectly fine the last time I lost my broadband.

Many thanks if anyone can help at all.

30 REPLIES 30

Five appointments and still no fix, and no feedback at all about what, if anything, was done, or what the problem is. Is this normal?

I've now made a sixth appointment for 24th December. I am almost 100% certain that exactly the same thing will happen. I just find it really hard to believe these engineers are doing anything at all, mainly due to the fact that customer services never have any information about what happened. Why is it so much to ask that the engineers should give some feedback which customer services can pass on to me, to reassure me that the problem is actually being worked on? After this many appointments I don't think that's asking so much. But still nobody from Virgin knows what's happening during these appointments, and they can't get through to anyone who knows. Such poor organisation. Five appointments and nothing to show for it!

Hey @juarez1916, thanks for reaching out on the forums.

I can see the appointment has been booked.
May I ask if the appointment has gone successfully?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Finally, after 3 months, about 25 phone calls, and SEVEN technician appointments, the problem appears to be fixed.

Sorry to say but it has not been an impressive performance from Virgin. Poor communication about what the problem was, and seeming indifference on the part of the technicians about fixing it.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi juarez1916, 

Thank you for updating the thread and letting us know this has now been resolved. 

We apologise for any delays and appreciate your patience with us. 

Please do reach out if we can assist with anything in the future. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Unfortunately this problem has come back. It came back when I upgraded to a faster broadband package.

Previously, when I complained about the problem in December, I was put through to someone called Joshua who said he was from the "Resolutions Team". He seemed to have more knowledge than the usual customer support agents, and also, he seemed to be more senior. He took ownership of the issue and said he would contact the technicians and get the problem resolved and would call me back and keep me updated with the progress. This is something that no other Virgin customer services person had ever offered to do.

So now when I phoned customer services about the problem coming back, I asked to be put through to this "Resolutions Team" so I could get the much better service which they seemed to provide. But the customer services person denied that such a department existed and claimed that there was nobody else she could put me through to. So I have some question which I would like a Virgin staff member to answer if possible.

1). Is the "Resolutions Team" a separate team to the Customer services team who answer the phone when you call support?

2). How come Joshua had more technical knowledge, more influence within Virgin, and was able to promise to personally stay on my case until it was resolved, and call me back multiple times over the following week to update me with the progress? Was he just a better customer services agent, or was he actually a more senior staff member from a different department? He seemed completely different to everyone else at customer services.

Please, please somebody let me know, it's really driving me mad that this problem still cannot be fixed and customer services keep fobbing me off and don't seem to care about my problem or know how to fix it. Any why it is so hard to get them to escalate to a manager? It's like they are incentivised to avoid escalating calls. Terrible, terrible service.

Hi @juarez1916 thanks for getting back to us.

I am really sorry to hear that you're having ongoing issues with your internet connection and for any inconvenience this may be causing you.  I am also sorry for the conflicting information you've received regarding our resolutions team.  All of our agents are trained to manage complaints.  You're absolutely correct in your belief that if that agent can't resolve the issue, you have the right to escalate as per our code of practice.  In regards to your broadband issue, I would like to take a look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

The problem cleared up magically around 1pm yesterday, this is without any engineer or technician visit at all.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 06-59-25 My Profile thinkbroadband.png

I did have an engineer visit booked but have cancelled.

I suppose the cause of the problem will remain a mystery as nobody from Virgin has been in touch about it being fixed

I did think the problem on their end and this kind of confirms it.

A shame they were so adamant that they had to send an engineer when I'd already had my hub replaced, the wiring inside my flat replaced, and the external wiring replaced, only a few months ago.

Hi juarez1916, thanks for the message. 

I am happy to hear that this has become better for you and has cleared up. 

Please keep an eye on it and let us know if anything changes?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Unfortunately the problem came back, an I spoke to a woman from Virgin, who was dealing with my complaint.

Her final, official word on this problem was that they've tried everything and they can't fix it, and they can't even confirm what is causing the problem, or even confirm that there is a problem, so I should consider leaving Virgin and getting a different ISP.