Menu
cathylong
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Terrible WiFi!

I have terrible WiFi. I can get a decent speed in one room but as soon as I move about 10 paces away from the hub it slows down to around 10Mbps. I have no new devices, no new building work etc etc. It never used to be quite this bad. 

Can you PLEASE help me? I’m at my wits end. And i will not be buying a booster from you. I’ve had horrific service from the start and I only have a one bedroom flat. The WiFi should reach - from one end of the flat to another is only 25 paces max. And I’ve tried phoning, factory reset, connect hub black spot etc etc etc.... 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Terrible WiFi!

Are devices connected on ethernet cables all nice and stable?

TBH - if they are - you would be better getting your own good quality wireless equipment (not boosters!) to sort it once and for all.

If you expect VM to sort the wifi from their Hubs you will be waiting for a long time. The recently introduced Hub4 is no improvement - many say its wifi is worse than the Hub3's.

If its a Hub3 there is one thing you can try that often help - try this.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Cathy_2 & Cathy_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network SSID you want to connect to - individually from the "available networks" list shown on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
cathylong
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John,  I tried all of that at the weekend actually and it's no better.  I just don't understand why it's got so bad. I have nothing new in my home and it never used to be this bad!

0 Kudos
cathylong
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh and yes it's ok on ethernet cables.  I now have a 15m cable that stretches from the front to the back of the house.  It's a safety hazard, but hey it's all I can do at the moment.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Then again, there never used to be most of the UK population working, scooling, furloughing, gaming, streaming - from homes around you and blasting the wireless channels airways..

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
cathylong
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, do you think it's likely to be my neighbours using up all the bandwidth or something?  I seriously don't know if I I'll ever get decent WiFi again.  I'm going to move to BT as not only is Virgin a useless service they've put my price up by 51%.  But I'm worried that will be no better.....

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You should also try a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 & 5 GHz channels are being heavily used around you and their relative strengths. I can see ~20 - others on here see >50.

I always think of it more like the VM Hub's puny signal is not that strong and the others around you have "stronger" equipment/signals and that confuses your devices as they seek about using "channel optimisation" (that I said above - to switch off) whilst trying to connect to what they think is the "best" one and they get all confused 🙂

If the 2.4 band is particularly congested use the App to find which one of channel numbers 1,6,11 (only use these 3 for tech reasons) is least in use around you and switch your 2.4 channel to that one (change it in the Hub settings),-  but even that wont help if there are other types of interference at play

The only way that BT will be noticeably better (IMHO) is if you take their whole home wifi package - and that cost an extra £10 a month on a new 18 month contract (£180) where they supply you with 3 of their BT discs which you can buy on Amazon for much less than that. So dont take that offer - buy them yourself - but of course you can do similar for VM and sort it now.

BTW - they haven't "technically" put your price up by 51% - you have just come to the end of your "agreed" introductory discount offer period that you agreed to when you signed up and have reverted to the same standard price that the rest of us pay.

If you do want to keep prices down - you will have to take your business elsewhere for 18 months and then return to VM for another introductory deal. That's just how this marketplace works

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
cathylong
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I put in a formal complaint to Virgin as for a large part of last year I didn’t even have broadband never mind WiFi. The whole experience has been so awful. When you rely on it on lockdown to contact the outside world  and to be able to work it’s just so distressing. It’s nice to have to some good advice, it’s much appreciated. 

0 Kudos