cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary move router to another room

roadgiant
On our wavelength

Quick question, I currently have my router in one small bedroom close to the bathroom, we are due to have a new bathroom installed in a couple of weeks and I want to temporarily move my PC etc to another bedroom to avoid dust etc during the work.
The room I want to use was my son's who no longer lives with us, but when he lived with us I has an extra  Virgin box (pre TiVo) in his room that is long gone.
Can I just move my router to the old disused Virgin wall socket (cabling etc are still connected) ?

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In theory.. yes.. I swap my V6 boxes around now and then (dont ask !) and they both work fine.  Easiest thing is to test it.  Just plug the Hub into the old socket as an experiment boot it up and see if it connects ok.  If not - note what the lights are doing and post back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply, got another option if needed, there is a lan socket in other bedroom wired to the hub and I also have a few homeplug afaptors if needed.