Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Technical support an absolute joke - Very Poor Customer Support

Spoke to technical support today to try and resolve an issue and received appalling customer service.

I had very poor WiFi with consistent drop outs for over a year. We had many visits from engineers and on the last visit an engineer came round provided a WiFi booster and told me that he’d configured the router to have separate networks one named 5G and one named 2G to support further diagnostics by having them fixed to those frequencies. Just to see if it was a particular band that was causing an issue, maybe interference affecting it. The dropouts stopped, but had some appalling speeds down to under 1Mbps sometimes in a room next to the router. Instead of going back to Virgin which had been a long year. I purchased a Google mesh and put the Hub3.0 into modem mode. Everything was going fine until very recently I had an issue with the mesh and google apps and decided to go back to having the hub as a router. I turned off modem mode and created a network name. Unfortunately I now have 3 network names running from the hub3.0 router/WiFi booster as it’s still configured with some specific networks with fixed frequency bands. And all with different WiFi strengths. Since Covid-19 I have been working from home and since putting the hub back into router mode I’m having difficulty having video conferencing and accessing remotes PC’s. The speed into the property is 200Mbps, so it’s a WiFi related issue.

So today I called up technical support explained the situation and asked if an engineer could just revert my router back to a single network that used both frequencies and would therefore intelligently switch between the two and if possible buy another WiFi booster for upstairs. I was told that I do not have a WiFi booster from Virgin, so they can’t investigate anything to do with that. I tried to explain the situation but After 20 mins I wasn't getting anywhere, so asked for the supervisor. After 30 minutes on the call with the supervisor I was told that I would have to fix it myself. And that I should go into the settings in the hub and ‘play around until I get what I want’. 

Are you serious? This is the technical support that you offer to people? We don’t know how to fix it, so just have a go yourself. 

Very very poor customer service and poor technical advice. I do hope someone from Virgin Customer service reads this and has the decency to follow up on this. 

Ideally just want a single network name to access from both router and WiFi booster which can intelligently switch and the ability to purchase another WiFi booster to put upstairs in my office. Why is that too difficult?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Technical support an absolute joke - Very Poor Customer Support

Virgin don't send engineers out to change WiFi settings, this is something the customer can do.

If your not able to do this yourself you can sign up to Home Works which includes a optimisation visit so the technician can change your WiFi settings

https://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/homeworks.html

We would be happy to assist on here if your willing to have a go? 

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I’m happy to give it a go.

(The ‘supervisor ’ spent 30 minutes talking me through, but told me that he couldn’t understand the issue. It was very frustrating).

just a few queries from me.

how do I know what network name the WiFi boosters are using?

How do I remove/disable the extra new networks named 2G and 5G that the engineer set up?

when I look in settings I have devices that are WiFi only Like my iPad that it says are connected via Ethernet. I’m assuming that this is because they’re connected via the WiFi booster?

how do I buy an extra WiFi booster so that I can get WiFi upstairs?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Good questions, 

Have you configured the hub to have only 1 SSID and that's the one you want? Once we have done this we can then copy the settings to the booster

Virgin will provide up to 3 boosters if required

So.. 

To log into the hub to set up the wifi password and name type 192.168.0.1 into your Web browser.

The password to log into the hub is under your hub on a sticker. 

From there you can click wireless settings and set both 5ghz and 2.4ghz to the same name

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can solve all these issues by sending back the sub-par Virgin extenders (not booster) and getting your own better router or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi JackieDy

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the service you received and also any broadband issues you're experiencing. I'll ensure that it's fed back to the right team.

Were you able to log in to the hub's settings and sort out the SSID?

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so I’ve gone into the hub settings and the SSID’s for both 2.4Ghz and 5 GHz are as they should be. So didn’t need to change anything.

this leads me to believe that it’s the Boosters that have been changed. So even though I’ve done the whole WPS thing they haven’t taken on the router SSID and one booster is called 2G and one is called 5G and I’m assuming they have had their opposite frequencies disabled. 

I’ve tried to login to the boosters but I’ve no idea how to at the moment.Tried using the instructions but can’t seem to access the boosters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi JackieDy, 

Do these instructions help at all

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but no. This doesn’t change their SSID’s.

One thing I haven’t tried is a hard reset on the boosters. I’m assuming there’s a hard reset I could do then WPS with the router and then pair them? Technically the hard reset should revert the SSID’s back to Factory settings and then the WPS should copy the router settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you can try that please JackieDy

Gareth_L

0 Kudos