cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV connected to WiFi but no internet

waltman
Tuning in

I have a Hub 3 and 2 Pods. Other devices connect fine to WiFi and get decent internet but my LG repeatedly had problems.

Every time the same thing. I connect the TV to WiFi, the TV has connection and then after a period of time the internet drops on the TV only - other devices in same room are fine. When I check the settings in the TV it is still connected to the WiFi but has no DNS and therefore no internet connectivity.

The Hub shows the TV as connected with no problems. The DNS/gateway settings on the TV are set automatically, and they work fine initially.

But every time the internet ends up dropping off. Reboots to my TV, router etc don't solve things, problem just reoccurs. Exact error on LG TV is "No Internet via Wi-Fi".

I see others on this forum have described the same problem and only seem to have it resolved via a replacement router i.e. this is a Virgin hardware fault.

Help me please before I throw the TV out of the window.

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you test with an ethernet cable?  Have you done a factory reset on the TV?  Is the region and time correct on the TV?  Which Hub do you have, btw?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for the swift reply.

Not been able to test with ethernet yet... I may be able to dig out some old powerline plugs but not entirely sure which box in the loft they are sat in!

Just done a factory reset before posting, was actually even worse in that WiFi connected but immediately had no internet/DND connectivity.

TV region was set correctly both before and after the factory reset. Not sure re time before the r set, but is definitely correct now.

I have a Hub 3.

Sorry typo:

"immediately had no internet/DND connectivity"

Should have been:

"immediately had no internet/DNS connectivity"

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Okay, going by your reply re. powerline adapters, the TV is not near the Hub, so the wifi might be too weak. You might also try manually setting the TV DNS to Googles, i.e. 8.8.8.8  and 8.8.4.4   I would suggest you get a long Cat 6 ethernet cable for testing purposes.  It's really handy to have one for such occasions, I have a 30M one in my "spares drawer"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes, I'd need a cable longer than I have. Just remembered that I have lent my powerline adaptors to a mate as I was no longer using so not an easy option.

The WiFi strength is very good, both my phone and my wife's tested very well on Sam Knows (over 250Mbps) sat just a couple of metres from TV in the same room.

And the router shows the TV as having a "Great" connection.

And yes, I've already tried setting DNS to 1.1.1.1 to no avail. But just to check with you, I left all other settings (gateway etc) the same... That correct?

Looks like I'll need to get myself a longer ethernet cable to test. But it isn't a long term solution to have cables all over the house.

Thanks once again.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, you just need to set the DNS.  The only other thing I can think of is the TV "might" be connecting to one of the Pods, and getting a weak signal. Unfortunately there is no way to manage the Pods.  Also, because you are using Pods, you can't set the Wifi manually to stop the "Intelligent Wifi" moving the WIfi band channels around.

You could try getting one of these, and connect the TV to it's Wifi.  If it doesn't work, return it. TP-Link AC1900 Gigabit Mesh Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Wi-Fi Repeater, 3 External Antennas, ...

This will be cheaper than getting another Router.  TBH, I have never used any of the VM Hub's as routers, they are set to modem mode as I've always used my own  IT kit.

An update... I was poking around in the garage in my boxes of old cables etc and found an ethernet just long enough.

Plugged in and wired works fine, with the same standard Virgin DNS settings.

Whether coincidence or not, wireless connection is also showing as fully working. WiFi and Internet connectivity all green.

I may need to borrow my Powerlines back from my friend...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Glad it's all working now.  It's a real shame that VM don't have decent software to properly manage the Wifi connections, i.e. Pods and Hubs, but everything is to a cost.  I believe the Pods have an ethernet port, so if one is closer to the TV it might be worth trying ?

Agreed that the management tools don't offer great options... The pods are effectively black boxes.

I think I'm going to Powerline it, had good success with those in a previous house so will stick with tried and tested.

Cheers for all your very rapid and insightful help.