cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP link wifi router /Hub3 modem modem

Banderwick
Tuning in

Hi to all, can anyone please help. I have turned my hub3 into modem mode so I can connect a TP link Wi-Fi router, however whatever I do I cannot get it to work maybe doing something wrong I guess. I know the TP link router is a slightly older model Archer VR200, however I was told by tp link it was possible. They sent instructions on how to set up but instructions are for a different tp link router. Any help would be appreciated. 

I would say I'm an intermediate, but I guess I'm doing something wrong or Archer isn't up to the job. 

Many thanks Peter 

9 REPLIES 9

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That router also supports an ADSL connection, so make sure it’s using the WAM port and set up for DHCP. Full instructions follow:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You have a DSL router but the WAN port can be configured to work with the hub (in modem mode) by ensuring that Operation Mode is set to Wireless Router Mode.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks, will try tomorrow 

Banderwick
Tuning in

Thanks 

PS. If i manage to get tp link router working, i didn't ask about phone, will it still work if I plug it in to virgin hub in modem mode. Thanks again 

@Banderwick wrote:

PS. If i manage to get tp link router working, i didn't ask about phone, will it still work if I plug it in to virgin hub in modem mode. Thanks again 

Yes.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The problem with routers like this is the WAN port when set may ack like a switch not that I know this to be true or not but likely is so don't have any devices connected to it so that only it gets the WAN IP

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks 

I tried today after following your advice but without success. So not sure if I did something wrong or DO I need to contact virgin or buy a new router.