Menu
sharondance27
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TP -link Powerlind adaptors not working

Hi

Just joined Virgin today and was hoping to use my TP link ethernet plug in powerline adaptors with the modem mode as I don't want wifi (they work fine with the BT network broadband). They don't work though so I assume they aren't compatible. The modem is wired to a Netgear 5 port ethernet unmanaged switch which is then wired to the TP link plugged into the electrical wall socket.

Does anyone know how to solve this or what will work to have a wired system around the house?

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP -link Powerlind adaptors not working

So you’ve not got a router in the network....

Use the Virgin hub in router mode to provide router functionality and disable the Wi-Fi in its settings if you don’t want it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
sharondance27
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answer. Presumably no router just modem mode. I've been told by Virgin that the only way not to have the wifi is to have it in modem mode so didn't know you could just disable wi-fi on this router? I've spoken to 3 different engineers and none of them said that was an option so I don't know, I'm not technical and all pretty difficult for me!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You should be able to login and disable both 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi 

The Virgin hub should work similar to BT home hub

You do really need a router in the network 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
sharondance27
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. Just to confirm, I have the Hub 3 router. I now can't connect with it in any way, I plug my laptop into it directly so that I can do what you suggest but there's no connection and as I have no wi-fi I'm stuck! My laptop works fine with the BT internet. I may have to try and get an engineer around again 😞

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Your other option is to get a wired only Ethernet router to connect to the Virgin hub in modem mode.

In modem mode the Virgin hub only allows one device to connect (usually a router).

If you want more than one device you need a LAN with NAT - a bit like having an address for a hotel, then room numbers within it. A router provides all that.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@sharondance27 wrote:

Thanks again. Just to confirm, I have the Hub 3 router. I now can't connect with it in any way, I plug my laptop into it directly so that I can do what you suggest but there's no connection and as I have no wi-fi I'm stuck! My laptop works fine with the BT internet. I may have to try and get an engineer around again 😞

Is the hub in modem mode or router mode? Red (magenta) light on?

The easiest thing might be to do a factory reset - press the pinhole button with a cocktail stick or similar for a minute and let it boot up for 10 minutes - should then be back to ‘normal’

Then connect laptop with Ethernet cable and disable the WiFi  

0 Kudos
sharondance27
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's in modem mode magneta light. What you're suggesting sounds good but I'm just wondering why none of the engineers or telephone operators suggested it was possible to disable the wi-fi as this is what I initially asked them and assumed I would be able to do. I will take a look to see if it's possible.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If it’s in modem mode (magenta light) your laptop will need to acquire a WAN side IP address and be the only device connected to the one active Ethernet port.  

The WAN side IP address will be bound to the MAC address and will probably need reboots to get the Virgin DHCP server to reallocate an address.

from there the hub modem can be reached at 192.168.100.1

All that probably doesn’t mean much to you - so just factory reset it

as for what VM ‘engineers’ technicians or call centre staff have told you - who knows...  maybe out of context.  AFAIK you can disable the Wi-Fi though there’s always a chance of it coming back from time to time due to firmware updates, bugs and so on.  

The VirginMedia hot spot SSID may also be shining, unless you have successfully opted out.

if WiFi really can’t appear, such as in an intrinsically safe environment, use a wires only router.....

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Here’s a link to the Virgin Media help page on disabling the Wi-Fi;

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-turn-off-wireless

I don’t know why VM staff didn’t point you to that in the first place - maybe how you posed the question 

why do you want to turn off the WiFi anyway?

0 Kudos