cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link Switch/50m Outdoor Cable

LanceyBoy13
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have been trying to get decent Wi-Fi (now wired ethernet) in my garden room/shed/patio area.  I tried Wi-Fi Booster from VM (2-8 Mbps), then 2 x Wi-Fi pods (0-4 Mbps) from VM but not good enough, so bit the bullet and have run a 50m outdoor cable direct from Hub 3.0 to a Tp-Link TL-SG108PE 8 port switch (4 + 4POE).  I have also used the 5 port version (1 + 5POE).  I need POE for Hikvision cameras.  I also plan to use a PC and/or laptop in good weather.

The problem is that for a while I was achieving 550+ Mbps (Have 600 package) and with a TP-Link Omada Access Point 350+ over Wi-Fi.  All was well, then after a short period of time the levels drop off to almost nothing, or it might be picking up the Wi-Fi from the main house and we are suddenly looking at 0-4 Mbps. Reboot switch and we are good to go a gain until it drops off again. Tried this many times now, works for a while then issues.

I have tested the cables, plugged a laptop directly into end of 50m cable and all is well.  I thought TP-Link switches might be the issue so tried a Netgear GS105UK connected to Hub 3.0, then connecting 50m cable to that.  All was well, then same issues has occurred.

I am confident all my cables are fine and believe it to be a compatibility issues with VM Hub 3.0 as can't think what else.

I have numerous devices on the network that I think are all working OK - both wired and wireless.

What are the issues here?

Hub 3.0?
TP-Link Switch?
Netgear Switch?
Any Switch ?!?!?
TP-Link/Omada Access Point?
50m Cable (Quality, solid outdoor cable in conduit) - Tested with a tester unit?

It is driving me mad, so I thought I would try here before the dreaded call to VM..... 🙂

Any help, suggestions.....anything....appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Morning all,

I have resolved my issues after spending about 5-6 hours on the phone speaking to about 9 or 10 different people at VM.

Sadly the depth of knowledge, and the willingness to help seems to vary massively between staff.

I can confirm that there is no problem with the switch, no problem with the cable, nor the 60m length, nor it being Cat 5e.  Electrical interference is also not an issue. So what was the problem....well, apparently if you are running a long cable you need to plug it into Port #1.  I did this and it worked fine, and continued to do so for longer than the 10-20 minutes before.  However, what then happened was that my upstairs area dropped off to near zero Mbps.  These are shorter cable runs within the house - 10m ,20m, no more than 30m maximum.  Great I thought, one problem solved but created another.  So I introduced a 4-port switch, plugged into Port #1 with the shed 60m cable, and the upstairs cable which also runs a couple of switches to share connection.  All has been fine now for over 48 hours. Result!

I had one guy at VM suggest I should buy another Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable.  I had another suggest that "I was asking the impossible" and he was getting quite frustrated with me.... I had others get obsessed with me looking at my Wi-Fi pods (nothing to do with this issue) and so on....The whole experience was very frustrating.

Eventually to try and speak to an experienced technical department I called up and spoke to the Retentions Team who put me through to a very helpful chap who suggested the Port #1 option.  He called back the following morning as promised. So simple if only I had spoken to him first.

I would strongly advise someone senior at VM to try calling in with a selection of issues and see just how bad it can be being passed from pillar to post, getting cut-off, not receiving promised call backs, and one guy promised to call me back but his manager instructed him not to do so!
Many staff clearly have "a script" and if you go "off piste" they either can't, or are unwilling to help.

Appalling service.  I have always been supportive of VM and do appreciate staffing levels might be impacted by Covid, but this has been an eye-opener.

I should add that throughout all of this I was calm and polite when inwardly I was FUMING.

Anyway, I got there in the end as there was no way I would let this beat me.  Far more to this, but didn't post it all!

I do not know if there is any documentation to support this, but I certainly haven't found anything to say use Port #1 etc, or any information about long cable runs.  I would also question if the Hub 3.0 is fit for purpose if it can't power all 4 ports sufficiently.  I was offered a Hub 4.0 but told I couldn't because the 1Gig service is not available in my area.  Really?  Could I not just have the Hub 4.0

One final question..... If I were to buy a 3rd party router, would that provide a better strength signal across all ports (wired) as I cannot seem to find anything definitive.  I would assume YES?

Thanks for all those that tried to help me out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Try hub in modem mode with a router?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that suggestion, and the thought had crossed my mind, but as I don't have a router to hand, and to be honest as a customer of VM I don't see why I should have to go to that expense as I have already spent a lot of £££s buying a cable, an access point and a switch as VM stuff wouldn't work to extend the range.

Very frustrating as never had much of a problem with my wired network in 15 years and I have some 25-35m long cable runs that I put in all that time ago.

Would a Hub 4.0 be any better? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

might be picking up the Wi-Fi from the main house”, you could try changing to a totally different SSID to see if this is the case. It’s doubtful that a Hub4 would be my different. If I have read your post correctly a wired device at the end of the cable gets a good speed. Is this correct? If it is then it’s a WiFi problem.

Out of interest, I have my own router and Ubiquiti Wireless Access Points in my house and I get a good signal at the end of a long garden even on the 5GHz band.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Eeeps
Well-informed

First a question. When the signal drops off on the shed does this also impact a wired connection there? Also, when failed in the shed can you still get good wired speeds directly from the SH?

If you have a spare switch, try inserting that at the SH end; i.e. SH -> Switch -> 50m cable -> Shed switch

Tudor,

I've just been to the garden and was getting < 3/1 Mbps (Up/Down) on both wired (Wi-fi on laptop off) and wireless on laptop (house Wi-Fi and/or AP Wi-Fi).
I have both SSIDs the same for main Wi-Fi and AP, but have picked up differing speeds when working at top/bottom of garden respectively when working.

I went back into the lounge and removed one end of 50m cable from Netgear switch and connect directly to port 4 on Hub 3.0.  Did same tests again and had 657/42 wired and 550/42 from wireless from TP-Link/Omada access point on patio. Shed is getting 150+ on WiFi from AP, and stood under AP is 500+. Without AP I am looking at <8 depending which part of lower garden I am stood in.

So on this occasion I didn't actually reboot any switches and full capacity was restored.

It all works fine (wired/wireless) for a short period, then drops to almost zero for no apparent reason.

The Access Point doesn't seem to be the issue as this works once I get the speed up when laptop connected.  As soon as that speed drops the feed to the AP drops too (as you would expect).

As I think I said in my OP, I have tested the cables with a tester and all 8 lights cycle green, so have confidence in cable (as much as one can have!).

It's this intermittent, then permanent drop in speed that I just don't understand.

Hub on latest software/firmware I believe.

If you have any other suggestions..... 😀 Pulling out what little hair I have!!

Eeeps,

Thanks for reply....

In answer to the question....only the shed dies off.  Other connections are fine, well I assume them to be as this PC and some laptops/mobiles have all been running fine both wired/wireless.  I have Sonos kit running both wired and wireless and that seems fine too.

Just reading your suggestion, and I have tried that in regard to the order of devices.

Yesterday I had:

Hub>50m Cable>5 Port Switch>ethernet cables....
then I tried
Hub>50m Cable>8 Port Switch (New in case 5 was faulty)> ethernet cables....
then today I introduced a new 5 port switch and have tried that at each end:
Hub>5 Port>50m Cable>8 Port>ethernet to Laptop (and ethernet to AP for Wi-Fi via 20m cable) and other devices.
and also
Hub>50m Cable>5Port>8 Port>ethernet to Laptop (and ethernet to AP for Wi-Fi via 20m cable) and other devices.
I think I have tried every combination.  All work initially then speeds dry up for no reason. 😣
I was shocked/impressed just how fast everything was due to distance of cable run as I have same speed at end of 50m cable as I do on this PC using SpeedTest. If only it would maintain the speed.

From what you have tested this seems to point at the cable. What grade is this? Where from? 50m shouldn't be a problem.

How is the cable terminated at each end? Is it a shielded cable? Are you sure you have the pairs matched up correctly?
If you have the wrong pairs connected a simple tester will confirm the connections but the cable won't work because each line won't provide the correct common mode rejection at high data rates.

Eeeps,

The cable is a pre bought one from Amazon - it might actually be 60m come to think - but when it works all is fine.
‎Rosenet Systems pre terminated with matching ends - and looks tidy crimping.

IMG_20210801_153312.jpgIMG_20210801_153130.jpg

T568-B
OrWh/ Or/ GrWh/ Bl /BlWh /Gr /BrWh /Br

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Connectors are wired correctly. Ethernet cable will work without any signal loss up to 300m (1000ft). Only thing I can think of left to test is a speed test, not using an external site, but between two stations at each end of the cable without any connection to the VM hub. My router allows this, but you will need to do a search to find out some software to use.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2