Menu
Mancman56
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TP Link Deco M5 & Superhub 3, does this set up work for anyone?

Hi

I'm posting this in some desperation.....!

Over the last 2 days and several hours I just tried to instal Deco M5 to my Superhub (on the strong insistence of 2 Virgin tech's who visited our house).  Absolutely no luck at all in getting it going, despite help from TP Link tech's so it's going back to Amazon as I suspect (but don't know) it's a dud system straight from the box.  I'll try another one.

Before I do, has anybody got this set up to work?  I'm totally untechy and just need house wide wifi and an ethernet connection in my office to the PC.  I got the Deco wifi working for a few minutes but had no ethernet and then the whole network went into a working/not working cycle on about a 2 minute basis. Then on a reset and re-instal attempt the 2nd Deco would not instal and I could not get ethernet at all.  My existing TP Link AV600 powerline adapters do work OK for ethernet and some limited wifi but I cannot get them to provide house-wide wifi (no idea why !!), hence the Deco's.

Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way for me to get such a setup working as I don't have the confidence to start turning various facilities on or off as I've read about in other posts.  I'm loathe to "get someone in" due to the damned virus. If you think I should get different kit then please say, but remember I'm totally untechy !

ALL IDEAS VERY GRATEFULLY RECEIVED !!

With my thanks

David

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP Link Deco M5 & Superhub 3, does this set up work for anyone?

Disconnect/unplug everything including extenders (you shouldn't need to put them back on) and then follow this sequence which should work.

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and the Hub and unplug them for 5'. Switch on the Hub leave a few minutes and then put it into modem mode (see the VM website for the “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple/red (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off.   Then, switch on and set up your own router or the first Deco Mesh unit with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway - but check.  Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 2-3 min) and then put its the ethernet WAN cable into the VM hub.   Now... power up the VM hub leave a few minutes and you should have a connection.   Use the recommended Deco App to set up how you want and connect the other Mesh units to the first one - may need to move them about a bit and wait till they connect. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Mancman56
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply.  You said " Then, switch on and set up your own router or the first Deco Mesh unit with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway - but check.  Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 2-3 min) and then put its the ethernet WAN cable into the VM hub."

Can I ask what the WAN port is and what is DHCP mode and how would I know it's set to that and if I need to change it to that how would I do it?  As I said I'm very non-techy and not confident about changing settings etc, which is not a good position to be in nowadays !!

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The WAN designation is actually irrelevant for the M5 - has 2 ports and they auto-sense whether its a wan or lan connection - others routers will have wan or lan printed next to the ports. Just connect one of the Deco's ports to the Hub port with a good Cat5e/6/7 cable. Any port on the Hub3 port will work - but only one at any time will - so its foolproof.

The Deco app or manual will tell you where to look for it in the settings - its usually pretty obvious see mine on my Apple App - below - its set to DHCP and Nat for my use the drop down menu allows me to change it

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 17.22.18.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are still struggling with it - see this thread for the M4's - perhaps ask jaywr10 for some tips...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Too-many-devices-Will-a-mesh-wifi-system-he...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Mancman56
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello John

Thanks for all your help. I've returned the first set as I became convinced they were faulty. With your suggestions I shall order a new kit and have another attempt.

Thanks, David
0 Kudos
Mancman56
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello John

I bought the new Deco M5 kit and tried all yours and Virgin tech's info and ended up with no success at all again, no wifi and no ethernet, so I took the only course left and got a computer tech support guy in who got the system running for me.  After a few hours it seems to be ok.

Interesting that Virgin recommend (virtually insist on it) this over their own wifi boosters but then make it crystal clear that if anything goes wrong it's nothing to do with them. Big business over small consumer tactics !!

Thanks again for your help, I think I'm just one of those people that tech doesn't work very well for.

David

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad it is sorted. Did your support guy say what the issue was? As several deco users I know had absolutely no issues.

VM no longer supply boosters they now supply "Pods" see...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/virgin-media-uk-launch-plume-powered-intelligent-wifi-...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Mancman56
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

John

To be honest I didn't ask what the problem had been...having had a Zoom meeting wrecked this morning by the existing wifi set up and then had the total instal failure of the Deco's I was all in and I just wanted it all to work, which he did.

If it helps at all, I put the Hub into modem mode, got the stable purple light and then when the first Deco didn't work my PC couldn't communicate with the Hub for me to try and put it back into router mode, hence me ending up with a totally hamstrung system. As the world gets more and more tech-driven, heaven help anyone who can't trouble shoot their system and who doesn't have the pockets to pay someone to sort it out.  The future for older folk is going to be ever more difficult I fear.

Thanks again

David

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mancman56 wrote:

I put the Hub into modem mode, got the stable purple light and then when the first Deco didn't work my PC couldn't communicate with the Hub for me to try and put it back into router mode,

For reference - if you want to log into the Hub then it'sdifferent URL's for the modes

http://192.168.0.1 in router mode - or -  http://192.168.100.1 - when put into modem mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos