cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Dynamic IP

iluvwittybanter
Joining in

hi everyone...

I hope someone doesn't mind lending me a hand with this; so I'm wanting to ensure my IP remains dynamic, much like it did with my former ISP BT Plusnet.

Upon speaking to VM over the phone they've suggested I need to place my Hub 5 into "modem mode" and having read the help sections in the community, I get how I may go about that.

I have 2 questions, 1 I appreciate is very silly, the other not so much!

1) once connected to a 3rd party router and placed in "modem mode" will switching my IP as its dynamic at that point be as simple as turning off the router, leaving it for some time before switching it back on again? [as it was with BT Plusnet]

2) Any recommendations on decent 3rd party routers? 2 floor property, open plan enough that the hub downstairs is in good proximity to the upstairs devices as far as signal goes

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

You seem to have been mislead or been given misinformation by VM over the phone.  Being fair what they have said is 'half right' (you can achieve what you describe by changing the MAC on a third party router in modem mode, but it's a lot of hassle and not really recommended).

What are you trying to achieve - why do you want to do this?  Is it to keep getting a new IP address when gaming or something like that?

VM works differently to some other ISPs/Broadband providers such as BT or Plusnet.

They assign a new IP address to you hub or modem pretty each time it reconnects.   Power down and back up again and chances are you will get a new IP address from their pool.  Off their network (BRAS, DHCP server etc.)

That doesn't happen with VM where the IP address is pretty much bound to the MAC address of your router, only changing occasionally.  Mine hasn't changed for many months.  I like it that way.  To change it, change the MAC of your router, under MAC cloning or MAC spoofing etc.  

There are loads of decent routers to choose from - it needs to support a DHCP connection rather than PPPoE.

There are several review websites that will show recommended kit in different categories like this;

https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/8151/the-best-wireless-routers

I'd look at WiFi 6, especially if your devices support it, or for the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@iluvwittybanter wrote:

1) once connected to a 3rd party router and placed in "modem mode" will switching my IP as its dynamic at that point be as simple as turning off the router, leaving it for some time before switching it back on again? [as it was with BT Plusnet]

No you would need to change the MAC of your own router

@iluvwittybanter wrote:

2) Any recommendations on decent 3rd party routers? 2 floor property, open plan enough that the hub downstairs is in good proximity to the upstairs devices as far as signal goes

Zyxel Armor G5

---------------------------------------------------------------

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Though your Hub has different public IP Addresses assigned to it when in router or modem mode they change infrequently; my own has not changed in over a year. Regrettably phone supports reputation for misspeaking continues.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Hero

Being a curious fellow, could the OP mention when & why a Dynamic Public IP is used ?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why do you need a dynamic IP, do you think it provides some security to hide behind?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

You seem to have been mislead or been given misinformation by VM over the phone.  Being fair what they have said is 'half right' (you can achieve what you describe by changing the MAC on a third party router in modem mode, but it's a lot of hassle and not really recommended).

What are you trying to achieve - why do you want to do this?  Is it to keep getting a new IP address when gaming or something like that?

VM works differently to some other ISPs/Broadband providers such as BT or Plusnet.

They assign a new IP address to you hub or modem pretty each time it reconnects.   Power down and back up again and chances are you will get a new IP address from their pool.  Off their network (BRAS, DHCP server etc.)

That doesn't happen with VM where the IP address is pretty much bound to the MAC address of your router, only changing occasionally.  Mine hasn't changed for many months.  I like it that way.  To change it, change the MAC of your router, under MAC cloning or MAC spoofing etc.  

There are loads of decent routers to choose from - it needs to support a DHCP connection rather than PPPoE.

There are several review websites that will show recommended kit in different categories like this;

https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/8151/the-best-wireless-routers

I'd look at WiFi 6, especially if your devices support it, or for the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

iluvwittybanter
Joining in

Hi

I appreciate the reply [and others before you]

I'm no stranger to VM giving misleading information. I'll take a look at the link you sent, and also the name drop of a post before it. 

The replies have been insightful and eye opening; so HUGE thanks to all

iluvwittybanter
Joining in

Just to answer the question about the "why" 

It's partly due to gaming but moreso the fact that I create YT videos with my housemate, performing magic tricks [usually cards] and song requests [piano and vocals]

We do this on YT but also post/posted content taken and edited from Omegle. The frustrating thing with Omegle is being "banned/suspended" for varying lengths of time for miniscule things they saw as ban-worthy such a "skipping" frequently or remaining connected with another user for a lengthy period. This wasn't a big problem persay, as one us would hop downstairs, switch off the router for 10-15mins and turn it back on and continue...

Sadly, as you can attest, this isn't the same with VM so we're exploring how we can best provide THIS type of content.

Not the end of the World of course but a solution would be ideal all the same!