Menu
Scoobynut
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Swap Superhub 2ac for Superhub 3?

Hi all,

I have a SH2ac in modem mode with ASUS router.

I just upgraded to M350 but think the SH2 only goes to 200Mbs.

Years ago I got an SH3 which was used for a day before giving up and swapping back.

Today I put the SH3 in modem mode and wondered if I might be able to use it.

Can I plug the SH3 into the coax or do I need to activate it?
I spent 20 minutes holding on 0800 953 9500 to speak with a human but couldn’t get through. I’m sure it used to be possible via an automated phone line (but maybe as it’s not a “new install” that wouldn’t work anyway.

Any ideas folks?

if the VM support folks can do this it would be great. Obviously like many other folks these days, I have a house full of people working and studying from home and can’t afford for a big interruption to service.

best regards

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Swap Superhub 2ac for Superhub 3?

Hi, the easiest method of upgrading your hub would be to visit this link and apply for upgrade https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap

it's unlikely Virgin will reactivate your existing hub as its not normal process.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Scoobynut
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi JitteryPinger,

thanks for the quick reply! I ordered the upgrade in broadband package online and got the notification email.

i may have looked at that link already but will check again and report back!

0 Kudos
Scoobynut
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Alas I follow the link, it tells me I can get a free SH3 but then I end up with this error.

Please call us about your upgrade

We're really sorry, but we won't be able to sort your upgrade through our website. Instead, please give us a quick ring so we can go through the details with you.

Call us on 0345 454 1111 from any UK landline or mobile

I guess somewhere in the system says I have an SH3....

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I can't see the image just yet as it needs to be approved but possibly the hub 3 you have is still on the account, I've had this in the past, it might be a case of calling technical support and asking for it to be switched over....

Best time to call is 8am.

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
Scoobynut
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Matt 👍

will try calling at the weekend (don’t want to take a chance of losing service in the work week). Otherwise I can expect plenty of grief from the family. Funny, I don’t remember ever signing up as the free network support provider 🤣

Scoobynut
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Just an FYI all sorted today.

Matt, as we thought the SH2 needed deregistering and the SH3 activating by VM tech support.

I had to speak with sales about the upgrade, and then they put me through to tech support.

Really great service (wish I had written down the tech support persons name). Thanks Virgin. I know it’s hard to get through due to the Covid times but once connected it went smoothly.

it was all sorted in under 15 minutes once on the call - the biggest issue was the SH3 would not stick in modem mode, and it needed to be done remotely. Then my ASUS router decided to change its own subnet and IP! I guess because of the DHCP in the SH3 while it was in router mode. Odd thing was I connected and set modem mode last night.

I learned that in modem mode the light on the front is purple / red. Hadn’t read that anywhere.

Also you must use the top port (port 1) to connect the router. I had read a few conflicting comments about that.

Anyhow, all happy, no interruption to the service so dad is not in trouble 🤪

Scoobynut_0-1612462762853.jpeg

Does anyone know what I should do with the SH2? (I forgot to ask!)

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Great, glad all is sorted.

Hang on to Hub 2 as Virgin will likely want it back at some point, sometimes engineers come round asking for them

Scoobynut
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Matt.

I’ll bung it in the cupboard and hope I can remember which one in future!

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Scoobynut wrote:

Does anyone know what I should do with the SH2? (I forgot to ask!)

Keep it. You can use it as a wireless access point if you want.