cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfshark VPN wont work after moving to Virgin Media Fiber. Is it Blocked?

gittingr
Joining in

I've just moved to Virgin Media broadband as they have just installed fiber in my area, but now my VPN cant connect. Looks like its blocked? The VMO2 salesman never mentioned this! 

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only thing VM blocks by default are torrent sites, & this is the result of a court order. VPNs should work (I’m using Norton 360 VPN right now posting this).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

If you are new to Virgin Media, the Child Safe content filter is usually enabled and this does block the most VPNs.

Login to the Virgin Media online account at : https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media

Then visit : Account Settings >>> Online Security

Set Virus Safe to On  (  on is normally ok for VPNs. )  
Set Child Safe to OFF ( this is the option that is blocking most content )

Client62
Legend

Bypass Child Safe & Virus Safe

Below are workarounds for when Child Safe & Virus does not or cannot be turned off

Changing network settings to use any Public DNS should re-gain full access for the device.

Try computers with Cisco’s OpenDNS using 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

OpenDNS provide instructions here : https://use.opendns.com/

For Google Public DNS it would be the same method using  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

For XBOX or Playstation: modify the network settings and specify the DNS manually as the OpenDNS or Google DNS numbers from above.

For Android: 

Settings >> Connections >> More connection settings >> Private DNS

Set “Private DNS provider name” to:  dns.google   (disable when using mobile data)

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Web Safe is on by default and its Child Safe component is blocking access to Surfshark . Either allow the domains Surfshark  require or turn Child Safe off if not needed, read more here Web Safe | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

gittingr
Joining in

Must have been a far end issue as it suddenly started working today - Thanks all for the feedback.