Menu
OPA
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Surbiton KT6 area Broadband issues since 11th January 2021

We have recently renewed the contract for the 108 Mbps.

We are having issues with the broadband in the Surbiton KT6 area, since the 11th January 2021.

For 3 days we were completely disconnected for long periods of time, mainly during working hours (9.30 am - 6 pm). All the rest of the time (four weeks now) we experience continuous losses of service and, when the service is available, the speed is extremely low. This makes working from home very difficult, as we are continuously cut out of conferences, calls, server connections etc . We cannot afford to do that any longer.

We have been reporting the issue regularly and always been told that the issue was being resolved within the day or was already resolved. When running the tests online the results are always - no issues found.

This - after almost 4 weeks - is now unacceptable. If Virgin is cannot provide what we we need and we are paying for, we must know and immediately switch provider.

Just for clarity - this is clearly a Virgin issue and not due to our equipment as:

1) our flat is very small. We work at less than 1 meter distance from the router.

2) When connected with the Ethernet cable, the issues are exactly the same.

3) Our neighbor has had exactly the same issues for almost 3 weeks.

Can anyone let me know what is going on please?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Surbiton KT6 area Broadband issues since 11th January 2021

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

To keep a record of network issues do this.

if you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Isildur
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Surbiton KT6 area Broadband issues since 11th January 2021

You're not alone, to my knowledge most of KT6 area has been suffering from the exact same issues during core weekday business hours since the start of the year, the issue actually has been affecting users since last November!

Extremely poor service and lack of transparency from VM. The "fix" just keeps being pushed back by 2 weeks, current resolution date is tomorrow 12th February!

If I was a betting man, I would put all my chips on; no fix tomorrow, next fix date estimate 24th February!

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd speculate there is no planned fix and VM are simply waiting for utilization to drop when people start returning to school and offices!