Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Supposedly connected but loading pages just hang and signal strength is so variable

Hi, new to the forum as getting nowhere with Virginmedia through online chats or Twitter. We have just upgraded to 500mbps broadband however the down load speeds are all over the place. Virgin guarantee at least 256mbps yet on Monday we were down to around 156 and internet pages were hanging while trying to load, partonising guy on the online chat told me that lots of people would be happy with that as they have  no connections!!. However today we have around 190mbps but pages aren't loading (imac), worklap top is unable to connect to the VPN as the connection keeps timing out, and wifi speed tests in various rooms are coming up between 7mbps (laughable) and 190, despite the Virgin connect app saying the signal is good. If I switch of an unplug the Hub3 anymore times I think i'll need to replace the mains socket through wear.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Supposedly connected but loading pages just hang and signal strength is so variable

Hi, Albert here virgin media tech. Am sorry to hear about issues that you are expriencing, at this great unprecedented times, all servers and service points are very busy with heavy traffic on all networks across the country. 

Generally with VPNs, while connected through the VPN your internet speeds will be slower than without the VPN. 

Have you tried to connect without the VPN?

Have you tried testing using CAT6 ethernet cable and where do you normally do you speed test, e.g Near the hub, Upstiars in the backroom, garden etc?

Which speed test sites are using?

Have you tried using www.speedtest.net, and if so what is the test PING rate?

PS. if you would me to check the status of your hub, could you please private message me with your Account number and area code?

Albert Boateng
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Supposedly connected but loading pages just hang and signal strength is so variable

Hi Albert,

Thanks for getting back to me. My work laptop at 156mbps was using a cat6 cable and speedtest.net, can't remember the ping rate.I have just moved into the living room and run it again (VPN not connected, won't connect as connection times out) and now at 90Mbps, ping was 87ms and the page took forever to load. Wifi signal down to 7mbps. The router is in the middle of the stairs/hallway, facing outwards into a fairly large space with minimal obstructions, Virgin engineer even said it was well positioned

As an aside I have found the Hub3 to be very unstable in its wifi signal, and will not support a 16 port Netgear switch, it can cope with a 5 port switch. I did put the Hub3 into modem mode and bought a cheap TP Link router for the Wifi, this provided a much more stable signal, though at a greatly reduced speed. We have since put the Hub3 back as the router, using only a 5 port switch.

I have checked the hub using the link on my account page and it says everything is OK, though clearly something is amiss? 

When is the Hub3 being updated, it has been around a while now, and by reading many posts, is not the greatest bit of kit?

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, by looking at the ping rate. it could be affected by two things, 1 the server your connecting (either being very busy) 2 there could be a device or other wifi devices on the same channel as you are using.

If you could stand about 1 metre from the hub, turn your wifi on your phone off for about 10 secs and turn it back on, your phone should establish a 5ghz connection, which will allow faster down-speed. these vary as you move further away from the hub, your phone then tries to keep you connected to the hub via the 2.4ghz channel and you will then experience higher ping rates and lesser down-speeds within the home.

If you have a managed switch, the hub 3 will be able to cope (i currently have a 24 port netgear smart switch connected connected to my hub 3 in wifi mode and all 23 ports connected vis cat6 output over 350.) You might be better off using a manged switch as you can create VLANs to manage network traffic better.

whilst connected to the hub via a cat6, using the speedtest , you could try to change the servers site (e.g Luton, Amsterdam etc your running the speeds to and you will see.

Currently there is no update on time release for an update on the Hub3.

Please you can private message me so i can check your hub, RF levels and to also see if there issues pending in your area.

Albert Boateng
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

update on the current situation. We have had a Virgin engineer round as even the wired download speed was all over the place, ranging from .01M upto 300M, but constantly fluctuating. She was extremely helpful  and said there were 62K faults logged in our Hub3, she tried to clear them but they would so the Hub was replaced. On initial installation with only the engineer connected to the Hub, utilisation was at 90%, which she said it shouldn't be as n one else was connected. She took the Hub to the box in the street and all was good, but said a network guy would have to take a look at the box as there was an issue somewhere for us. network guy had a look the following day, and said utilisation was 8%, not sure where though. Either way the speed is still shocking. Network guy was going to call back on Friday morning and didn't. My wife phoned Virgin once again and again explained the problem, was told someone would call back on Friday afternoon and once again they didn't. The engineer that was round on Monday said that she would phone modem support and have a track on the hub to see what is causing the high utilisation. Failing that it might be the internal cabling. I took the hub and connected it to the cable where it comes into the house and was still only getting 130ishM?. Cabling in the house is: 

Virgin line in, Virgin installed splitter to V6 Box, coax from splitter to second Virgin installed splitter, coax from second splitter to 2nd V6 Box and coax to Hub3. Cat 6 cables from Hub3 to Netgear GS105E switch, TV and Hive.

Second issue, the Hub3 won't support a 16 port Netgear GS116Ev2 managed switch which was connected to the hub with a Cat 6 cable, though it's not connected at the moment, we're using a GS105E as this works, only 5 ports though. When we install it it works for around 30 seconds then all the connections drop out and nothing works. Spent a long time trouble shooting with Netgear and they couldn't  get to the bottom of it, however on reading many forums it's the Hub3 that won't support the switch. I bought a TPLink router, put the Hub3 into modem mode and everything worked, though the wifi speed was slower than when the Hub3 was working properly. 

To sum up, unstable speeds, intermittent wifi, GS116Ev2 not supported, 62K faults logged, 90% utilisation and not sure what to do.

Thanks for any help and advice with this

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the ongoing issues Ed61. I'd like to take a look from here and see if we can help - please look out for my PM and get back to us with the requested info when you can and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I’d love to know what the resolution is here as I’m experiencing exactly the same issues

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ryan1007,

Welcome to our Community Forum and thanks for posting. So we can help, can you tell us more about your own setup and connection issue? I ask because different people's setup and experience is different and we want to help with your own specific issue to tailor it.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos