forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub

Have an old Superhub 2 but trying to request an upgrade has been, so far, impossible. Please can someone help me as I'm thinking of leaving Virgin due to the inability to contact anyone. I know that times are difficult but there is a limit!

ps Virgin did try to speak to my wife but she was unable to talk to them at that time and now the report is closed. I tried via the link but got the oops message.

Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub

Firstly - why do you want it changing? What problems do you have? If its faulty then VM will simply swap it for you when you call it in as fault. Calling at 08.00 is the best time to get through quickly.

Re. the link - Getting the "Ooops - please call" message, usually means you are on an old package that the computer can’t recognise so they want to speak to you about it and get you to change to a newer package in lieu of a new 18 month contract. 

When you call it in, the agents will probably (unless you get lucky) know absolutely nothing about the scheme and say "oh no, that's an upgrade there will be an ctivation charge and it starts a new contract". Neither of those statements in correct.   So they will discuss new packages and these can often be worth hearing about as they might offer you more things  for the same (or a little bit extra £) - but of course you can just always say "No thanks" and leave the call.

After that you could try texting on 07533 051809 - include account name/number and what the issue is and see what they say – replies may take a bit longer

Finally, a VM person should pick this up here and sort the swap for you, but it can take a week or more for them to get here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello there and many thanks for the reply.

The connection is intermittent and I would like to use the Virgin apps with the router which I am unable to do with Superhub 2.

I have installed an outdoor security camera and it's useless when the signal drops out. I need a more stable connection.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not sure a Hub3 will solve any of that - many say its wifi is worse or no better than the SH2. I still have the SH2 - but have "never" used its wifi I have always used my own better quality wireless equipement and have never had a single wifi only issue in ~20 years of being "wifi independent" 🙂

You say the connection is intermittent - is that also true on devices that are connected by an ethernet cable? If it is, then its possible that it isn't a Hub problem but that the problem is with the cable network connection that VM Techs bneed to sort. If you dont know can you check on an ethernet connection.

BTW what App's do you want to use? If the "Connect" one dont bother its bug-ridden and does nothing that cant be done by other means - often better.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello and once again I'm grateful for the reply. John, on the Superhub 2 do you know how to disable channel optimization? I'm trying to use a TP Link C4000 as an Access Point which does work but the camera is still losing signal. I'm not very savy and have tried to use the TP Link as a router but when I put the Superhub 2 into Modem Mode I can't access the internet. I've tried with a Google Nest router and the same thing happened. I want to give the Superhub and the TP Link the same SSIDs as there is interference. I could well be doing this all wrong and would welcome any advice.

Many thanks.

ps Don't blind me with science please.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK - there is no channel optimisation on the SH2 - it was introduced on the Hub3 (happy to be corrected as I have never used its wifi).

That TP link is a top quality wireless gaming tri-bandrouter (if its the same as the one showing on Amazon) am I right?

In which case it should be brilliant ! Forget the Google stuff and try it again setting it up again with the correct sequence

Disconnect all cables from your Asus and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode again and wait until it is. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub MUST then be powered off. Then, start up and set up your own Asus with its WAN port set to be in "DHCP Nat mode" so it can work properly , it may be set up that way already - just check. If you change anything make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put the ethernet cable from the WAN port into the SH2.   Now... power up the VM hub leave a few minutes and you should get a good connection.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. When I get a moment I'll give it another go. Will let you know and many thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos