Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub - Ethernet Ports Seem Faulty

Good afternoon all, 

Let me preface this by stating that I spoke to a Virgin technical support chap about 14 months ago. He concluded that my Superhub was busted and another would be sent to me. It never came; life got busy and so I'm only just getting back around to this. 

Long story short: A little over a year ago, my previously 100% A-ok Ethernet ports just stopped working on my Superhub. Given that I've worked in IT for over a decade now, I'd like to think that I pretty much know what I'm doing - although networking isn't one of my strengths, I've had enough exposure over the years to get the gist. I'm certainly not opposed to this being 'end user error', but I sincerely doubt that's the case - it seems very much hardware related.

I've exhausted all the possibilities I perceive and can only conclude that I require a new Superhub. I believe my current model is the first gen and I've had it since 2012 or so. 

I have managed to get some (very) limited joy out of my ports. If I power the router off for a short while, 50% of the time I'll get connectivity to one of the two ports I'm attempting to use (PC in one, PS4 in the other). I've tried DHCP reservation and all that guff (believe me, I've tried everything!) but as soon as a client is inactive for any period of time (if my desktop hibernates, for example) the connectivity is irrecoverably lost - unless I reset the router, perform a raindance, etc. 

I've scoured the internet for tips and tricks but I haven't really found anything around this topic (or if I have, it's fixes I'm aware of and have tried). Factory reset does very little other than cause further inconvenience. 

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be hugely appreciative of your input. I'm reluctant to call the service desk because I don't have the time to sit through ~ 1hr plus of "Have you placed your router behind a goldfish tank?" style questions. If I can, I'd like to circumvent that whole ordeal. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub - Ethernet Ports Seem Faulty

Try this to start with ...

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

If that hasn't worked you will need to phone in ...

You can contact VM to report the problem using ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is weekdays 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike, and thanks for the (very prompt!) response. 

I've tried factory reset a few times to no avail. I honestly think it's just a case of old hardware giving up the ghost; the ports just stopped working one day, and (as I said in the original post) odd, very brief spells of functionality returning aside, they just don't seem to be working anymore. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Quick update: last night, the Ethernet ports died whilst my device (desktop) was still very much active. 

Again, the only workaround I can see thus far is switching off the router and leaving it for at least 10 minutes or so (strangely, anything less than this and the fail rate is 100%). Doing so will get my Ethernet working ~ 50% of the time, but only for a short duration; if my device hibernates - even for a short while - it loses its Ethernet connection and no amount of prodding or poking will get it back. As mentioned above, the issue now seems to also occur even when the device is active. 

If anyone has any ideas what this could be, I'd really appreciate any insight you can offer.

[EDIT] Also, I can now confirm that my Superhub seems to be the first generation device - not the 2 or 3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm not having much luck with the technical service, either. One guy tried to transfer me but the conversation (via web browser) went nowhere, and the phone service doesn't allow me to speak with anyone - it informs me that my router needs a reboot and suggests I seek advice via the aforementioned method. Furthermore, when I log into my Virgin Media account and access the knowledgebase there, it tells me that I can have my Superhub upgraded to a Superhub 3 for no additional cost. Navigating through that upgrade process lands me at a page telling me that online requests cannot currently be handled, and I need to phone the helpline which, as stated above, just points me back to the online help.

At what point did it become so difficult to resolve a very straightforward issue? Good lord. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You may have to wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Mike. I sincerely hope it does get picked up on - I think I've been patient thus far having waited for over a year to get the issue resolved! A few additional days won't hurt I suppose 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bumping this on a wing and a prayer. 

I can't get through to technical at all - be it via telephone, online messaging or the SMS service. For the past two days, all attempts have a single point of failure - I'm told that I'm being transferred, then absolutely nothing happens. I even left the online chat open for hours (both today and yesterday) to no avail. I'm not even sure it's working at this point; usually an agent is quick to pick the session up, but since yesterday it's as if nobody is at the other end. 

The problem with my Superhub persists. I've tried using the online service to get a free upgrade (as the website itself suggested I do!) but that isn't possible at the moment either. 

If any support people on this forum are reading this, please can we open a dialogue about it? It's a very straightforward situation - I just need a new Superhub sending out, because my current model (first gen) is broken and the replacement I was supposed to receive over a year ago never came. Please help! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All sorted. I finally managed to get through to support via the SMS server. A Superhub 3 is en route! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 now installed and everything working as should. I've noticed a rather dramatic increase in both speeds and WiFi range over the Superhub 1, too. Can't be bad!

Thanks 🙂 

0 Kudos