cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 5 with Asus RT-AX86U router question

BarrySmith2
Tuning in

Getting a Superhub 5 next week and wondering how to get the 2.5g port up and running with my Asus RT-AX86U

From what I understand, with the Superhub 5 in modem mode, I would connect its 2.5 gig port to my Asus RT-AX86U 2.5 gig port and change the WAN settings on the router to enable said port.

This would give me the full 2.5 gig connection between Superhub 5 and router.

However the other ports on the router are standard 1 gig ports, so even though my gaming computer has a 2.5 gig ethernet port I would only be able to connect it to a 1 gig port because of the limitations of the router.

Is that the correct setup and am I right in thinking any devices wired to the router won't actually be able to take advantage of the full 2.5 gig speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you plug a 10Gb switch into the Hub 5 in Router mode, then you will get what you want, providing every NIC in the chain is at least 2.5Gb.  You also need to check very carefully that all ports on a switch are greater or equal to 2.5Gb. Some switches may only have a 10Gb backbone and still use 1Gb LAN ports.

This switch is very reasonable IMHO TP-LINK TL-SX1008 Specifications - TP-Link TL-SX1008 Unmanaged Desktop 8 Port 10GbE Switch (broadban...

This Router ASUS-GT-AX11000, has both 2.5Gb WAN and 10Gb LAN so should work with the Hub 5 in modem mode, but not cheap .....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are correct.  You will need a Router with at least 2 2.5Gb ports to do what you need.  A 10Gb switch would also be a good idea if you can afford the hardware.  Moving up to > 1Gb is not cheap !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Presumably if I plugged a 10Gb switch into my Asus router, I still wouldn't get the full speed because of limitations on the router only have 1 x 2.5g port?

What if I plugged the Superhub 5 into a 10Gb switch, then my computers 2.5Gb ethernet port into that? Suspect the wifi capabilities on the Asus router are better than the Superhub 5 so taking it out of the network might be a non-starter.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you plug a 10Gb switch into the Hub 5 in Router mode, then you will get what you want, providing every NIC in the chain is at least 2.5Gb.  You also need to check very carefully that all ports on a switch are greater or equal to 2.5Gb. Some switches may only have a 10Gb backbone and still use 1Gb LAN ports.

This switch is very reasonable IMHO TP-LINK TL-SX1008 Specifications - TP-Link TL-SX1008 Unmanaged Desktop 8 Port 10GbE Switch (broadban...

This Router ASUS-GT-AX11000, has both 2.5Gb WAN and 10Gb LAN so should work with the Hub 5 in modem mode, but not cheap .....

Thanks for the info. I think i'll wait until 2.5Gb ports are more common place. I've seen that ASUS router before, whilst it sounds amazing it would just be overkill for me at that price. Might find another use for the 2.5Gb port on the Smarthub 5 for now.

carl_pearce
Community elder

I use an Asus RT-AX86U and a NETGEAR MS108EUP (Purchased when it was £209 in November 2022, rather than the current £380 asking price!)

The Netgear switch and the Asus support LAG (Link aggregation), which is essentially two 1Gbps ports combined to 2Gbps, which means any device connected to the Netgear switch has full 1150Mbps.

Or this Asus router has two 2.5Gbps ethernet ports (You could use your RT-AX86U as an AiMesh device):

https://uk.store.asus.com/tuf-gaming-ax6000-tuf-ax6000-211419142-90ig07x0-mu9c00.html

So just to confirm the ASUS-GT-AX11000 router 

All you need to do is plug in an ethernet cable from the 10G port to the Hub 5 port and you can get over 1gig?

I currently have two Asus RT-AX88U routers upstairs and downstairs with an ethernet running between them to create an ethernet back haul throughout the house which is great, I pretty much get at least 800 mbps anywhere in the house which is cool but that router looks an absolute beast and if it gets over 1 gig then I'm tempted 😂

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s a nice switch and PoE as well !! 

@Adduxi wrote:

That’s a nice switch and PoE as well !! 

Yep, just a shame on the price increase, as with most things I suppose.