cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 5 randomly disconnects flashing Red and blue after reboot?

Hefeydd
Tuning in

Hello,

The LEDs on cable modems over the last 20 years haven't changed that much they still mean the same thing Red is a problem with Virgin Media or the cable coming into your property to the box outside or the cabinet. Okay, for the second week running now, my Superhub 5 has gone first flashing Red which means there is a problem with the cable connected to the modem. But it can also mean there is a problem with the landline connected to the modem and in this case, I don't have my landline connected to my modem. Last week it was flashing Blue which doesn't make sense because the cable modem is in Modem Mode and I am not using the router as Blue indicates the WPS button has been pressed and it hasn't.

I am connected to a router which has a 1GbE/2.5GbE WAN Port and because of the unusually warm weather we have been having some days in the 30s and my cables are in the attic and although the cable can take temperatures well above what we have been experiencing and this is set to continue for a further 2 weeks by the looks of things. I checked the Power Levels on the cable modem and they are perfect SNR does seem to be a bit high 40dB but these cable modems have a high SNR on the older models anything above 36dB was borderline and would cause the modem to randomly disconnect but these newer models can go higher than that.

As a Network Engineer, the one thing that is bugging me is the flashing Red and Blue flashing LEDs Red LED is a problem with the cable, whereas the flashing Red LED is a problem with the phone connected to the modem and I don't have it connected so how can it be flashing Red? Also, the flashing Blue LED indicated the WPS button has been pressed it hasn't been pressed plus my modem is in Modem Mode I have never used your router no offence but I use an external one I always have done ever since you added Router Mode and Modem Mode which was about 15 years ago.

1 REPLY 1

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Hefeydd,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear you've been facing problems with your internet service, regarding the light changing to red you would be correct in that matter.

However just from checking our service today it would appear that you are currently being affected by an area fault which has an estimated fix time of 16:00 today.

Sincere apologies for this as our team will be working to get this matter resolved.

Regards,

Kain