cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 5 networking problems

Callinder
Dialled in

I fairly recently upgrade to 1 Gbit connection and a Superhub 5. I've noticed that even though I get over 900 Mbits download an over 100 Mbits upload speed consistently the Superhub has started to be problematic. I wired my home with some Cat 6 and mostly Cat 7 Ethernet cabling but WiFi in one part of my home was useless. Since I received a WiFI Pod the WiFi has improved incredibly in the areas that were hopeless. In fact the Pod now gives a stronger, or acceptable, signal in almost all of my home thus when I'm about 2 meters from the Superhub it looks like I'm still connected to the Pod. When I force a connection to the Superhub it says my connection is  "Fair". When checking the Superhub using the Web interface it reports no connected devices, wired or wireless, locks up when running network diagnostic and crashes when I try to check DHCP. Seems a tad strange to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

The choice of Wi-Fi access point is made by your Wi-Fi devices.  It is not made by the Hub or the VM Pods.

We found that VM's Smart Wi-Fi and Auto Channels to be the root cause of random Wi-Fi disconnections. With both Smart Wi-Fi disabled and Manual Channels selected for both bands we have strong and stable Wi-Fi service.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

The failing functions of the Hub 5's web interface would be worth trying in Chrome and then in Firefox ( a non Chromium ) browsers just to be sure the Hub 5 does not have some browser related wrinkles.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a good install of Ethernet, I would suggest you look at getting your own “SoHo” WiFi Access Points. This will allow you full control over accessibility. Unfortunately the Pods do not seem to any management features that would exist on other units. Have a look at Unifi or TP-Link devices. Both have excellent control via Apps or PC based controller software. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Callinder
Dialled in

Just to give an update. I did a hard reboot and the Superhub Web interface is now showing all connected devices but it still doesn't explain the odd situation where once connected to the Pod even when moving to about 2 metres from the Superhub I'm still connected to the Pod even though it's signal is about 10 metres away and has a brick wall and two plasterboard walls to pass through. Also the Superhub often drops WiFi connections and I find my phone using 4G.

Client62
Legend

The choice of Wi-Fi access point is made by your Wi-Fi devices.  It is not made by the Hub or the VM Pods.

We found that VM's Smart Wi-Fi and Auto Channels to be the root cause of random Wi-Fi disconnections. With both Smart Wi-Fi disabled and Manual Channels selected for both bands we have strong and stable Wi-Fi service.

Thanks for the advice but a TP-Link Omada or Unifi system are just overkill for my basic home network. I did have a Mesh system on my previous Virgin Router and everything was fine after setting it to be in Modem mode. However once I had the Superhub5 I decided to use the WiFi Pod instead. I'm just a tad disappointed with the Superhub. After working in IT since the early '80s, and now I'm 70, I hoped things would have improve significantly for the average user. Not sure it has.

I've done as you suggested and set the 2.4 GHz Channel to 11 and the 5 GHz Channel to 44 after disabling Smart WiFi. I should have been suspicious of anything that purports to be Smart! Thanks for the tip and I'll now sit back and see if it works.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think you may find the Pods no longer work properly, or even at all. They are designed to work with the Hub in factory setting, i.e left as out of the box. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Callinder
Dialled in

That's exactly what I've found. Shame it looked like a good solution. I think I'm going to set the router back to default settings or possibly put it in Modem mode and attach a Mesh system which I was trying to avoid. I have an Access point but it's a pain having to connect to it when I go from my lounge to the kitchen. Anyway it's default settings first. I've setup the router again. Now I've used the VM Connect app to setup the Pod and everything looks OK. The VM Connect app reported that the Pod was great. Unfortunately the WiFi via the Pod was non-existent and I'm fairly sure that my phone was connecting to the Superhub. After rebooting the Pod the signal strength shot up to excellent for 2.4 GHz and stayed at excellent when it connected to 5 GHz. It then suddenly dropped to poor at 2.4 GHz and then connected to a VM Hotspot.  I then disabled WiFi on my Phone and then reconnected. Again the strength went from excellent for a few moments  but dropped down to poor. Have I cocked everything up?

Client62
Legend

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode plus two WI-Fi access points, all offer the same SSID/Password all on fixed channels, this is very fuss free. Our mobile phones and laptop wake up and connect without any intervention.