Menu
andybno1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 4 speed help

So I got a superhub 4 today and in 1Gbs connection I’ve got the hub in modem mode and router in use is ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900.

Steps I took was change hub to modem mode and plugged ethernets in to router, once the hub light stopped flashing white I then plugged in the router and powered it on.

best I can get is 359 Mbs on my pc via WiFi, which is a fairly new pc.

if I try my iPhone 12 I will get slower speeds in direct line of router.

have I done everything right to make sure all is connected correctly?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 4 speed help

359 is a good speed for wifi 5 technology, what are you expecting? 

0 Kudos
MarkyG61
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep, stick an ethernet cable into the PC and attach to the router then see what sort of download speed you get. I'd expect around 1000Mbs minimum
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

900minimum, you won't get 1000 

0 Kudos
andybno1
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not expecting full 1000, lugged pc into living room as no cables long enough went up to 620Mbs on Ethernet 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For future reference... long runs (20/30/50 metres) of Cat5e/6 are less than a tenner and so worth having in your bits cupboard for occasions like this to save all the lugging. Just trail the cable on the floor for the time it takes to run the tests.

I would also say thay to get "full speeds" you need to have put the Hub4 into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Then test at speedtest.net (in browser not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
andybno1
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It’s already in modem mode I did a WiFi test after installing the hub 4 and was down to 89Mbs I was like nope you gotta change to modem mode and plugged the ASUS ac86u router in.

Just checked pc I have a intel wifi 6 card inside which I never knew, kicking myself for not checking as I only bought the ASUS about 2 months ago and should of looked at WiFi 6

not sure on the safe+networking mode you mean sorry

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you use Windows (most do - I dont) then if its W10 - follow the link below for how too - just Google it if your OS is different.

It is running with no additional software running on the PC so that any clashes are ruled out. I have a list of ~30 threads on here from users whos speeds were being attenuated due to flaky drivers, bad antiviral or antimalware packages, QoS running in the background, corrupted web browsers etc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
andybno1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ooooh windows safe mode hahaha

checked my router it has QoS mode enabled I’ve turned that off.

will give everything a reboot when kids are off Skype with grandad and see if any improvements

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just try it again with QoS off that should improve it considerably

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos