cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 4 Modem Mode Doesn't Work

bwrlane
Tuning in

Hello,

Wonder if someone can help with a frustrating problem.  For longer than I can remember, I have been using a Superhub 2 in modem mode, together with an Asus RT-AC66U router.

The reason why I set it up this way was because I found a particular online game would frequently disconnect and give lag spikes.  I found that by putting the Superhub 2 in modem mode and using a separate router, the disconnects and lag spikes went away.  I happily used the system in this configuration for years.

I recently upgraded my package to 1 Gig and was sent a Superhub 4 router.  I was optimistic that whatever problems caused the lags and disconnects with the Superhub 2 would now have been fixed.  My optimism was misplaced.  As soon as I started using a Virgin router again, the lags and disconnects started up again!

No problem, I thought, I'll just put the Superhub 4 in modem mode, and use my own router, just as I had been doing without issue for several years.  That was the start of an almost entirely wasted day.  It seems the Superhub 4 simply does not work properly in modem-only mode.  

I get the following error message within my Asus router's configuration page.  "Unable to connect to the Internet".  Please contact your ISP to find out the root cause of the DHCP failure.

I googled and found many people seem to be having the same problem with the Superhub 4 in modem mode.  It seems some people tried various things like swapping ethernet cables, trying different ethernet ports, rebooting the Superhub, leaving it for 5 minutes, then turning on the router, leaving it for another 5 minutes.  I tried all of that, and more, for several hours.  I just get that DHCP failure error and no internet connection.

So I have reverted back to the Superhub in router mode, using the Asus device for wifi.  (I have tried two separate routers, one brand new, and get almost identical error messages: ISP DHCP failure).

This is absolutely not how I wanted my service to work.  I want my own router to do all the routing, and the Superhub 4 to be a modem and nothing more.

Any ideas?  Note that the basic trouble shooting tips like trying a new ethernet cable, trying a different ethernet socket, rebooting all devices in a different order etc etc are unlikely to work.  (Tried them all, no joy).

Many thanks in advance

54 REPLIES 54

@brads wrote:

I have got a RT-AX88U router today. I put my hub4 into modem mode but I just can't get any internet. As for the white light it's either on or off dosent mean it's in modem mode or router mode. It's the same for both. Been trying all day and getting nowhere.

Turn off the HUB 4 and the ASUS.

Ensure the ethernet cable is plugged into the WAN port on the ASUS.

Turn on the HUB 4 and wait a few minutes for the right light to settle.

THEN turn on the ASUS.

Tried what you said, I get 3 white lights and a red light for internet.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Step by step instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I can't connect to a laptop, only WiFi connection.

@brads wrote:

Tried what you said, I get 3 white lights and a red light for internet.

Could you log into the ASUS, usually 192.168.50.1, and check the WAN status within the main 'Network Map' tab for errors.

How do I do that without internet

@brads wrote:

How do I do that without internet

You don't need internet to connect to the Asus.

I don't know how to do that, I only use WiFi,no connection on my laptop

@brads wrote:

I don't know how to do that, I only use WiFi,no connection on my laptop

That's fine, you can still connect to the Asus over WiFi.

Should look similar to this demo site:

https://demoui.asus.com/