cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 4 Modem Mode Doesn't Work

bwrlane
Tuning in

Hello,

Wonder if someone can help with a frustrating problem.  For longer than I can remember, I have been using a Superhub 2 in modem mode, together with an Asus RT-AC66U router.

The reason why I set it up this way was because I found a particular online game would frequently disconnect and give lag spikes.  I found that by putting the Superhub 2 in modem mode and using a separate router, the disconnects and lag spikes went away.  I happily used the system in this configuration for years.

I recently upgraded my package to 1 Gig and was sent a Superhub 4 router.  I was optimistic that whatever problems caused the lags and disconnects with the Superhub 2 would now have been fixed.  My optimism was misplaced.  As soon as I started using a Virgin router again, the lags and disconnects started up again!

No problem, I thought, I'll just put the Superhub 4 in modem mode, and use my own router, just as I had been doing without issue for several years.  That was the start of an almost entirely wasted day.  It seems the Superhub 4 simply does not work properly in modem-only mode.  

I get the following error message within my Asus router's configuration page.  "Unable to connect to the Internet".  Please contact your ISP to find out the root cause of the DHCP failure.

I googled and found many people seem to be having the same problem with the Superhub 4 in modem mode.  It seems some people tried various things like swapping ethernet cables, trying different ethernet ports, rebooting the Superhub, leaving it for 5 minutes, then turning on the router, leaving it for another 5 minutes.  I tried all of that, and more, for several hours.  I just get that DHCP failure error and no internet connection.

So I have reverted back to the Superhub in router mode, using the Asus device for wifi.  (I have tried two separate routers, one brand new, and get almost identical error messages: ISP DHCP failure).

This is absolutely not how I wanted my service to work.  I want my own router to do all the routing, and the Superhub 4 to be a modem and nothing more.

Any ideas?  Note that the basic trouble shooting tips like trying a new ethernet cable, trying a different ethernet socket, rebooting all devices in a different order etc etc are unlikely to work.  (Tried them all, no joy).

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you follow this sequence? If not give it a go and see if it sorts it.
-------
Put the VM hub into modem mode and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode (yours probably is already set up like that). Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub wait a few minutes and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

54 REPLIES 54

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you follow this sequence? If not give it a go and see if it sorts it.
-------
Put the VM hub into modem mode and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode (yours probably is already set up like that). Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub wait a few minutes and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you, I did something a bit like that but will try that exact sequence. Note that my SuperHub is a 4 so it does not have any magenta light. It has only one light, a white strip. Here’s a pic. Does that make any difference? 

It seems to be the 4 that is giving everyone problems in modem mode.

26B4787A-2534-412C-A8C2-60D638283EEC.jpeg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Few of us on here have real life experience of the Hub4 or seen a user manual - but someone who has can comment on the lights. Shouldnt affect anything - just indicates whether the Hub is in router or modem mode. What does your "manual" say in that regard?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Connect only a PC/laptop to the hub and change to modem mode when its in this mode power off the hub for 2mins and turn on then unplug replug the Ethernet cable to get internet. When you have got that to work connect your PC/laptop to your router and login find the clone MAC option in WAN/internet settings to copy the PC/laptop MAC over then connect your router to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

John,

I was sceptical at first as I tried what I thought was every sequence under the sun over a period of about 6 hours yesterday.  Nothing worked.

But I then followed the exact sequence used in your message and it worked immediately.  Thank you VERY much.

Look at this speed I'm now getting over wifi (ax).  https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/7a8f59bc-50ce-4337-8476-5f2c28103d89 

bwrlane_0-1601806324846.png

Sadly, the manual says nothing about how to set up modem only mode on the Superhub 4.  It was never this difficult with the Superhub 2.

Did you get it to be stable tho?

I have an Asus Rapture connected to SuperHub4 in Modem Mode and it needs restarting every few days.

It will literally just drop connection, I wont be able to see it on 192.168.100.1 until I restart it.

Eddie701
Joining in

well i have a hub 4, tried everything to stop wifi drop out. i have a solution which is working as i write. i have 1gig tested to the hub 4, tried modem mode but doesnt work. returned hub4 to router mode. plugged a cat5 into talktalk modem/router wlan port. i now have stable wifi through talk talk modem/router. also connected cat 5 to an old sky modem and shared the ethernet port. am trying to post images of setup not sure how

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Eddie701 wrote:

well i have a hub 4, tried everything to stop wifi drop out. i have a solution which is working as i write. i have 1gig tested to the hub 4, tried modem mode but doesnt work. returned hub4 to router mode. plugged a cat5 into talktalk modem/router wlan port. i now have stable wifi through talk talk modem/router. also connected cat 5 to an old sky modem and shared the ethernet port. am trying to post images of setup not sure how

Just another way not done properly.....😑 

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have got a RT-AX88U router today. I put my hub4 into modem mode but I just can't get any internet. As for the white light it's either on or off dosent mean it's in modem mode or router mode. It's the same for both. Been trying all day and getting nowhere.