Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 4 - 350mb - B31 Area - High Packet Loss Periods

Hi,

Been having troubles this week with periods of high packet loss, when it happens all devices stop communicating although don't go completely offline, for example my phone and laptop will show a good connection but no data will transfer.

Power cycling the Superhub 4 will get it back up and running the quickest, but I left it one time and it came back online after 30-60 minutes without my intervention, maybe it rebooted itself?

The issue started on the 1st and has occurred at least once a day since, prior to that I have had no other issues since fitting the Superhub 4 (it was offered as a free upgraded from the 3 due to congestion issues in my area)

BQM Snapshots:

July 1st: First high packet loss was initial occurrence, power cycled to fix, then it happened again and shows offline for much longer as I was checking all equipment, rebooting regularly.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d03f6377b4d216b42dad15a66e9be083c64ea4d1-01-07-2020

July 1st.png

July 2nd: 3am occurrence fixed itself, 9am occurrence I power cycled the superhub

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/917ad84caace92ac4d2a2589b15060e1e8db5c6f-02-07-2020

July 2nd.png

July 3rd: First occurrence I left it to fix itself to see how long, second occurrence I power cycled

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2e994e1f168c3ec35136b06c819fafc70db0aa8d-03-07-2020

July 3rd.png

I have reported this and have an engineer coming on Monday, but I'm concerned that the intermittent nature of the issue might be something the engineer can't identify. Has anyone here seen behaviour like this before?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 4 - 350mb - B31 Area - High Packet Loss Periods

I'd hazard a guess that this is a noise fault.  The Hub 4 uses much higher levels of modulation, so the downstream is more susceptible to any line noise than the Hub 3.  So hopefully the technician will be able to find and fix that even if the hub is playing nicely when he arrives.  I'd also guess that the Network log will be stuffed full of serious errors and warnings that should be additional evidence to help him. Edit: or her.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roakes, I'm sorry to see those graphs and that your connection is affecting your internet usage. When the engineer arrives, if he can't find any problems, he will contact someome from the Network Team. You may also show him your BWM graphs in case it helps him and the Network Team to pin point the issue and let us know how it goes after the engineer visit.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

On Monday the engineer diagnosed a "high signal level" issue, changed the cable from the wall to my modem and checked some other things, he said the levels were OK now and left it at that. Unfortunately it looks like the issue happened again from around 1am to 3am that night and I have had another short outage around 6pm last night. Looking at the BQM there's a pretty constant packet loss albeit at much lower levels throughout the day, then the occasional spike which disrupts the connection totally:

c95000bd37f4a0752ac555db970f4c458446b9c8-09-07-2020.png

What's the next step?

Thanks

Russell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Russell

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues. I have checked the system today and there is a congestion issue affecting the service. Your reference number is F008003254. The estimated fix date is the 22nd July 2020.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos