forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
lobbo232
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 kicks all WiFi devices periodically

Hi,

I've been with Virgin since September and have started having problems with the router kicking all WiFi devices periodically, and usually all at the same time.

I work from home and remote in to various other machines so it's pretty obvious when this happens. It happens 2 to 10 times a day and takes a few minutes before everything automatically reconnects again.

I've tried talking to Virgin on the phone but I can't get through other than to the automated "we'll run tests on your device" thing. Obviously I've rebooted the router, but one of the instructions is to factory reset the hub and I would rather avoid doing this every time this occurs as it takes vital time out of my work day to set up all IP reservations and ports that I need for work again.

Using Ethernet is not an option in my property. Powerline adapters also do not work. I am less than 2m from the hub with a stud wall between. Devices all over the house get kicked, not just the one area.

Is this something Virgin can fix?

Is my Superhub 3 broken?

Is the Superhub 4 better than the old one?

Should I give up with Virgin's hubs and get my own?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 kicks all WiFi devices periodically

@lobbo232 wrote:

Is this something Virgin can fix?

Is my Superhub 3 broken?

Is the Superhub 4 better than the old one?

Should I give up with Virgin's hubs and get my own?

1. Maybe - depends what the actual issue is

2. Possible - though it's probably just crap wifi

3. Not based on the reports from other users of the forum, no

4. That is the usual recommendation - you're likely to have a much more stable connection when using the hub in modem mode and your own router providing gateway services and wifi etc..

before you invest in any new equipment though, it's definitely worth investigating the underlying connection, as if there's a problem with it a new router won't help.

You could start by setting up a BQM to see if the dropouts are internal to your network, or if there are issues with the WAN side.. 

0 Kudos
lobbo232
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. I'll try again to get hold of VM.
I would have thought it would be an internal issue, not WAN. All the devices loose WiFi connection at the same time. Otherwise I'd expect to see the WiFi still connection and Windows saying "Connected, No Internet"

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@lobbo232 wrote:

Thanks for your response. I'll try again to get hold of VM.
I would have thought it would be an internal issue, not WAN. All the devices loose WiFi connection at the same time. Otherwise I'd expect to see the WiFi still connection and Windows saying "Connected, No Internet"

it's definitely worth testing over a cable if you can - it may not be convenient, but if it still works via an ethernet cable when wifi drops out, then you at least know the underlying WAN connection isn't dropping 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You need to confirm with a cabled connection whether the connection also drops 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
lobbo232
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Got off the phone to Virgin. The technician said he was experienced and had resolved a lot of these recently. I was told the constant load on the hub from working at home was causing it to overheat and that the hub wasn't designed for this originally. Also that factory resetting it gives it time to cool down enough..

I was then told every time it happens I need to log in to My Virgin Media and click help and go through the steps which tell you to restart and then factory reset the hub again every time so that it gets logged to my account that I did this.

If it logs enough time it should automatically ask I want to book/talk to an engineer who will then probably replace the hub.

Apparently they can't just replace hubs without doing these steps currently due to supply shortages and everyone wanting one to fix these issues. (Supply shortages seem to be the in thing right now!)

He also said it was an option to buy their boosters, but I'm not paying a monthly fee for a WiFi extender to fix an inherent problem with their hub.

I'm going to do what he suggested and every time it happens follow the steps online until it gets escalated. I've also set up a BQM as suggested by @tehwolf.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So basically he fobbed you off.

It i's just WiFi dropping then put the hub into modem mode with your own router or mesh system.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
lobbo232
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Posting an update in the hopes that someone from Virgin Media will see this eventually and be able to use my written record to do something about it.

25/01/2021

All devices kicked from WiFi twice throughout the day. Tried rebooting the hub (powered it down for 1 minute then back on).

26/01/2021

All devices had been kicked from the hub twice by 11am. Factory reset the hub again.

BQM: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6c3de1383e5433831456494cef59e4c35c...

0 Kudos
lobbo232
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

All wireless devices kicked again 26/01/2021 at 13:05

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@lobbo232 wrote:

26/01/2021

All devices had been kicked from the hub twice by 11am. Factory reset the hub again.

BQM: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6c3de1383e5433831456494cef59e4c35c...

this is reflected in the graph - two red lines around the 11am mark.. did you reboot the hub at this point?

it doesn't look like it's showing a corresponding drop at 13:05 (or at least not yet). 

0 Kudos