Menu
Jeremy_K
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 incompatible with TP-Link Deco M5

After changing from a Superhub2 to a Superhub 3 my TP-Link Deco system stopped working.  After tests and discussions with TP-Link it appears that the Superhub 3.0 does not correctly pass through the IEEE 1905.1 packets that the Deco system uses for ethernet backhaul.

This would seem to be an unfortunate incompatibility.  Has anyone else found this?  Virgin, please sort out the deficiencies in your hub.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 incompatible with TP-Link Deco M5

What model Deco units do you have and have you got them all connected back to the Hub via Ethernet? Lastly do you have the Deco running in router or access point mode?

0 Kudos
Jeremy_K
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good questions.  The Deco product is the M5.  The Decos are in access point mode.   The problem occurs when I try to use ethernet backhaul (between the Decos).  I had the Decos connected in to the RJ45 sockets on the Superhub.  It seems that the Decos need to send IEE1905.1 packets between themselves in order to turn off the wifi backhaul and avoid network loop.  TP-Link have done tests and this is what they say:

"We set up deco units and connected as your network topology.
Three deco units are wired to the hub 3.0.
Then we connected computer to the hub 3.0 and captured packets. We didn't see any IEEE1905.1 packets.

Also we contacted Virgin media team and they confirmed that hub 3.0 didn't forward this protocol packets.
We have suggested them to add this support and they were not sure if IEEE 1905.1 will be added to Hub 3.0 in the future or not.

At present, your Deco can only work via Wi-Fi backhaul. Or you can connect your Deco as follows:
Hub 3.0 ----> Main Deco ----> switch ----> Slave Deco units."

The proposed topology is not that convenient for me so I do hope that Virgin might take up the suggestion of adding IEEE1905.1 support.  What I can say for certain is that the Superhub 2 worked fine.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Edited - just seen that you are running the M5 in access point mode.

An alternative might be to ask for VM to provide you with the Hitron router that they provide to small business customers, and hope that doesn't have the same problem - but as you are a residential customer they'll resist that, and you'd probably need to raise a formal complaint, making the twin arguments that the Hub 3 is not standards compliant, and therefore VM are in breach of the Goods & Services Act 2015, and that under Article 3.1 of Regulation (EU) 2015/2120 VM are obliged to offer customers a choice of equipment.  If that doesn't do it, then you could then escalate to CISAS, the industry arbitration service, but its all hard work when VM don't care about customer satisfaction.

Other choices including buying a new mesh system that somebody can confirm works with the Hub 3 (and then raising a formal complaint asking VM to give you a one off discount of the value of that, since their shonky Hub 3 is the cause of the problem - again, chances are you'd need to escalate to CISAS). 

Or, you could just take your business to a company that values it and gives you a better ISP-issue router, or some choice.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To be honest the chances of support being added for the 1905.1 protocol if the switch in the Hub doesn’t currently support it would be little to none. If using a wifi backhaul isn’t convenient, and, naturally you are quite right in that an Ethernet backhaul will always be more reliable, I would think your best bet would be to invest in a cheap gigabit switch and connect the Decos to that with an uplink to the Hub.

Not sure how you would necessarily know if a switch supports the required protocol before getting one though - not really the sort of thing that Amazon list in the specifications! Presumably a TP-Link switch would be most likely to be compatible you would hope. 

0 Kudos
Jeremy_K
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Spot on jem101 with your suggested solution.  I've just managed to get it to work with a TP-Link switch sitting between the Decos and the Superhub.  Interestingly the Netgear switch I tried didn't work ... and Netgear is a reputable brand.  And the Superhub 2 was Netgear I believe.  

You're right that there's little way of finding out in advance which products will support IEEE1905.1

0 Kudos