Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 drops Ethernet connection

I've been fighting with this problem for a few months now and am running out of options to try, so could use some advice and assistance.

I have a Superhub 3 which is connected to an HP 1810-24G 24 port switch. Every two to three days, the link between the hub and the switch just stops working, devices I have connected to the switch can no longer access the internet.

If I reboot the hub, everything starts working again. Alternatively, if I disconnect the cable between the hub and the switch then reconnect it, everything starts working again.

I've been checking the router status, there is no link between any of the events there and the timing of the network drops.

I've also been checking the log on the HP switch but little joy there. I am concerned that there often seems to be an LLDP delete that happens shortly before the link goes quiet but that is not always the case.

I've recently installed Wireshark and been capturing data off the Ethernet line however with the low frequency of the event and the massive amount of Ethernet and TCP/IP traffic, I'm at a bit of a loss to go any further than simply look at the traffic. To my uneducated eyes, it seems reasonable. There arent any silences or large numbers of malformed packets appearing, it all appears sensible and logical.

Regarding the Superhub, I have about 20 devices connected by wi-fi. Three of the four Ethernet ports are connected, to my switch, to an home automation hub and to the Virginmedia kit.

I have devices connected to about 10 of the 24 ports on the HP switch and they seem to be fine. As soon as the connection is re-established to the Superhub, when it has gone quiet, everything just works again. I am using the DHCP on the Superhub to give some devices fixed IP addresses, a mix of about nine wired and wireless devices. So it becomes impossible to get through to those devices when the link to the Superhub has gone quiet. Otherwise, non-internet connections seem to keep on working.

I did have the Superhub replaced about six months ago due to this problem and the new one behaves exactly as the old one did.

I also have another old HP 2524 24-port switch and have tried replacing the 1810 with the 2524 but still that danged connection drops every two to three days.

So if any of you networking gurus out there have some ideas about how you would chase down the root cause in this relatively simple setup, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 drops Ethernet connection

Seems odd that you have such an advanced setup but you still use the sh3 as a wireless router, perhaps you would be better putting the hub in modem mode and using a separate router as the hub is just a basic budget device but by the sounds of it your demands are much higher than the normal

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that is very true and I would like to do something like that eventually. Unfortunately until I can get a solid connection between the Superhub and the switch, then the purchase of a second router may get me no further. It is something that I might come back to if there is no other way of curing this problem.

Thanks for your thoughts

Richard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you relocated one device from the switch back to the one ethernet port  remaining on the  SH3,  Does this device keep working when the switch experiencing an issue?

Is there a management port on the Switch so you can monitor the link back to the SH3 ?

Check configuration of the trunk port back to the SH3?

Is there a possibility you have two links from the SH3 to the switch.?   Maybe via Ethernet over power adapters like TP-Link ?  Is there anti loop protection in the switch ?

Is the Switch up to date with Firmware ? Update if possible to alleviate known issues. Check release notes for the version of code in the Switch for known issues.

That would be my starting position

Regards

kk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM NEVER test hubs with a switches and many devices it is only expected per port to have one source MAC/IP. You can test this with a switch to the hub and only one device to the switch that it be stable like that.

Just get a router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @kklorkky. Responses to your questions below.

If you relocated one device from the switch back to the one ethernet port  remaining on the  SH3,  Does this device keep working when the switch experiencing an issue?

I had done this previously and the device continued working. In fact anything directly wired, other than the switch, kept on working. As did the wi-fi.

Is there a management port on the Switch so you can monitor the link back to the SH3 ?

Yes. And I have been monitoring the log on the switch, in addition to the status on the router. Nothing consistent seen, the link just stops working.

Check configuration of the trunk port back to the SH3?

Will do so again.

Is there a possibility you have two links from the SH3 to the switch.?   Maybe via Ethernet over power adapters like TP-Link ?  Is there anti loop protection in the switch ?

Yes. There are spare ports each end and the switch does have spanning-tree support. Up until now I’ve just used a single link to make the configuration simple. Will consider configuring this but will need to do a little reading first!

Is the Switch up to date with Firmware ? Update if possible to alleviate known issues. Check release notes for the version of code in the Switch for known issues.

Done. Unfortunately I can’t do the same for the Superhub end.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @legacy1.

At the risk of sounding naive, that puts a different spin on things. So I would never be successful trying to get the switch to talk to the router consistently?

If that’s the case, I’m feeling somewhat let down by Virginmedia. I would have thought that connecting a switch to a router was basic functionality, there are so many simple, unmanaged switches out there that people could legitimately want to use. Even in my case, I’m not using that many ports on the switch currently, so not many MACs.

Thanks for the insight. Any further corroboration appreciated.

Richard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello rich_k

Sorry you have had to post on here regarding the connection and your switch

Have you been able to get any further since your post at all

We are unable to assist directly with any 3rd party equipment due t this being out of our support scope

However from what has been advised already the option to use a another router with your hub in modem mode would be the best bet right now 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos