Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 : available? Improve WiFi consistency ?

I’m a customer with SH 1 and 100 Mbps - WiFi is usually good however several devices loose connection frequently. Also the range does not cover the back of the house.

I’m wondering whether SH3 would improve connection reliability - however it’s impossible to order one of these, even from VM websites that state it is available to existing customers.

Has anyone managed to order one (without being a new customer) and if so, what improvement, if any, did it deliver ? Other forum entries reflect the same frustration of unavailability.

Separately I’m considering a WiFi Powerline but believe better to buy my own (especially with a Black Friday) then rent from VM. 

Appreciate feedback.

Mike.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 : available? Improve WiFi consistency ?

@Deirdreb73 wrote:

I’m a customer with SH 1 and 100 Mbps - WiFi is usually good however several devices loose connection frequently. Also the range does not cover the back of the house.

I’m wondering whether SH3 would improve connection reliability - however it’s impossible to order one of these, even from VM websites that state it is available to existing customers.

Has anyone managed to order one (without being a new customer) and if so, what improvement, if any, did it deliver ? Other forum entries reflect the same frustration of unavailability.

Separately I’m considering a WiFi Powerline but believe better to buy my own (especially with a Black Friday) then rent from VM. 

Appreciate feedback.

Mike.

If it was me I'd put the existing HUB in modem mode and purchase a third party router, so you don't need to bother with powerline adapters AND don't have to spend hours on hold with VM!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes you could try for a hub 3 might not be any better or you could get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

First things first - the SH1 should be a doorstop now. It only broadcasts 1 wifi band at a time (2.4 or 5 GHz) all modern wifi equipment does them simultaneously - including the SH2, SH2ac,Hub3,Hub4 - and VM are offering free upgrades for you (see below) which you may have tried?

I would say its worth doing because for the vast majority of customers the Hub3 is fine - we only see the ones on here for whom it isn't.

As the others have said getting your own equipment will always be better that that in the VM Hubs. But you wont know until you try - so get the upgrade and if it doesn't sort you then come back here for further advice.
--------------

You could try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's (may be a delivery charge).

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

It works first time for about 50% of customers, but if you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then that usually means you are on an old package that the computer cant recognise so they want to speak to you about it. When you call it in it's a coin toss whether the agent knows about the scheme. If they do they will just say "ok we will send one out" (there may be a small delivery charge) - or - they say "oh no, that's an upgrade there will be a charge and it starts a new contract". Neither of those statements in correct - so just say no thanks and leave the call.  Worth trying a second time as - different day = different agent

After that you could try texting on 07533 051809 - include account name/number and what the issue is and see what they say – replies may take a bit longer

Finally a VM person should pick this up here and sort the swap for you, but it can take several days up to a week.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Deirdreb73 

Thanks for your post. Really sorry for the delay in response, we have been very busy and doing all we can to reach all customers ASAP. Thanks for your patience. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having broadband issues and that you have the old hub. This should have been replaced by now. 

I'll pop you a private message to take some details and take a look in to this for you. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos