Menu
Rbshean
Settling in
Message 21 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Wifi Issues

I have recently been upgraded to a superhuman 3 but the WiFi drops out consistently. Sometimes it comes back on but most of the time it requires a power cycle or a hard reset. Any thoughts? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 22 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rbshean

I'd love to be a superhuman one let alone a three 😄

I do love a funny auto correct.

Going back to your post though, can you confirm if this is still happening?

If so can you confirm is it the WiFi only or does the wired connection also drop?

Let us know.

Cheers

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
emkphone
Just joined
Message 23 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi i wondered if anyone can help as certainly Virgin cant after 15 phone calls and 15 messages, basically been on holiday wifi had been ok cameras were working in the house, wifi wall switch, xbox etc and Netgear AC1200 Booster, when we returned broadband was slow Virgin logged in and found over 40 appliances connected to our wifi which wasnt ours, they changed something and then it was fine when I tried to reconnect xbox, phones worked but none of the netgear booster, wifi plug or cameras, they then renamed our broadband 2G which I guessed was 2.4ghz and router settings suggest 5ghz is connected too but we cant get anything to work virgin think its a frequency problem what they cant answer is why everything worked before but now doesnt they basically said netgear booster we would have to get rid of as it can only reach 2ghz in our house, weird and try new cameras - tried smart frog  cameras they connected but our existing cameras work at my mums and at work so suggest they are not faulty, and the netgear booster suggests it works, in the end virgin gave me gadget rescue and they cant help, but surely you shouldnt be left with appliances that you cant use because of frequency when it worked perfectly before??  I am out of ideas can anyone help!!!!

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 24 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@emkphone

Thanks for getting in touch, it's a bit of strange one, I can see quite a few devices connected to your Hub via wireless currently so hoping you may have found a work around for those that had failed to connect.

If not, I'd suggest a full factory reset of the hub and then try to set up one of the offline devices, the netgear booster perhaps, from scratch. Just let us know how it goes and we'll do our best to assist if problems persist.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Bazzamer
Joining in
Message 25 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have been having similar issues, the speed has gone down from 108Mbps, to as low as 26Mbps, have tried different settings but no joy. When i go into router settings, it says Network trouble shooter, i test it and it comes back with a red triangle under wifi connections, i have tried it with an ethernet cable direct from laptop to router, and i still get the red triangle. I have moved the router, even though its only 5 feet away, tried changing channels, put it on auto, but if you reboot the router it goes back to how it was. This started about 3 months ago, my security kept going offline the online, i got intouch with the company and they said it will only work on 2.4Ghtz not 5Ghtz, VM seperated the two, but still no good, they asked me to make sure the ports were open. So phoned up technical only to get a foreign lady, very difficult to understand, asked me loads of security checks, did my head in, then i asked her to check the ports were open, she had no clue what i was talking about, and said whats a port, and she works in technical. I said a the begining are you tecnical and was told yes, after i asked several times for a supervisor, she said a manager will call you back in 30 mins, that was 3 days ago.

i personaly think the router has gone bad, i will unplug all ethernet cable and give it a try, but wont hold my breath, maybe its the splitter, think i will try a direct connection to the router, and see what broadbands like, will keep on trying, as it says its a wifi connection problem, and VM will want to charge me if they come out. They offered a free upgrade to 200Mbps ages ago, never been anywhere near that, has been ok for years, even though i think i have had about 3 routers, and 4 VM boxes, not very good service esp as they have just put the price up again.

anyone with any ideas would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Bazzamer

0 Kudos
clubsceneuk2
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Just to chuck my ten penneth worth in this is not just happening to Nathanrogers. This is happening to lots of users including myself. With me i got so fed up of it happening i purchased a TP link router and turned the superhub on to modem mode and since then have had no issues. Who ever is supplying you these hubs is giving you sub par equipment. They work great when wired but are hopeless with wifi.

I am an IT engineer so went through the process of splitting the signal, turning the 2.4 off and then the 5ghz off and still nothing. I set the channels manually and automatically in case that was causing the issue but nothing resolved this problem.

There are many issues these hubs have and if you took the time to contact users like Nathanrogers and myself you would get the issues so you could contact the supplier.

We are the users yet we have to put up with subpar kit which virgin believes is the best thing since slice bread. Well i have to say the speeds are but the kit you use is not.

Craig

nevwg
Tuning in
Message 27 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I have no answers, but would like to add my experience.

I have 3 ethernet connections to my SuperH ub 3.0: a Hive hub, to my iMac, and to an Apple Airport Extreme. I don't know whether any of my problems are because of the ethernet; I've not yet had occasion to test.

I was having occasional failure to access the SH WiFi, and after having spoken to Virgin service during a failure, they sent a replacement SH 3.0, which worked fine for a week, and then simply stopped. The failure lasted for a few hours. I turned the Hub on and off a couple of times, to no effect. Virgin were very good: when they realised I'd already had a change of Hub, they booked an engineer. The engineer knew about the intermittent clashes with ethernet, although he couldn't give any precise advice on that. He adjusted some settings, changed some connections which I think had been there since the days of Telewest, and all seemed well again. 

In general, things have been OK since then (5 days ago). But two days ago, the set-up became particularly weird. We have a number of devices in the house, all Apple: two iMacs, 3 laptops, an iPad, and 2 iPhones. One iMac (which is nearest the SuperHub, and also ethernet connected) lost the connection, giving the message, "move closer to the router". The other iMac couldn't find the network. One laptop was OK, but the other two found the network but said "no internet". One iPhone was fine, the other said "wrong password". The iPad couldn't find the SH network. I switched all the devices onto the Airport Extreme network and everything was fine -- despite the Airport being connected to the SuperHub (not in modem mode) by ethernet. The logic of this is impossible for me to understand.

I turned the SuperHub off, left it for 5 minutes, turned it back on, and as far as I am aware everything has been fine since then.

Until the next time, when I might try pulling out the ethernet cables one by one.

0 Kudos
ldargenzio
Tuning in
Message 28 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi!

I also have experienced similar issues with Hub 3 - never had problems with Hub 2 and home setup has not changed in between. My wifi connection this morning went off, I restarted the hub and wifi came back but did not allow any device to connect. Left things as they were, came back from work and it now works again...

I am not an engineer so won't try to find a solution but I couldn't help to notice that most people having this issue have both wifi and cable connections to the router. As it has been posted before, the issue seems to disappear when the cable connections are turned off or router is used as modem-only.

Could this be a hardware / software issue of the H3 which somehow get 'overloaded' when managing both wifi and cable connections and it 'drops' the wifi? Maybe whoever designed it, had it optimised for wifi connections only?

Another thought is that H3 also manage the 'Virginmedia hotspot', whilst H2 did not have that facility. We cannot turn the hotspot off and have no control over it in the setting page, but it adds workload on the Hub...

I can only add my voice to those who are reporting this fault and would like it to be fixed asap...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
clubsceneuk2
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 has the worst history of Wifi use. Its up for a few days and works perfect and then for no reason just drops. You would be better putting it in to modem mode and putting a cheap (or more expensive) modem of your own on there. Asda do one for £30 which will work better than this lump on plastic. I have brought this to virgins attention but all you get is...We will pass this on to the relevent team for future improvements. Simple improvement, sack off the hub 3 supplier and get a decent one that knows what they are doing.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 30 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Simple fact is that the Hub3 works just fine for >95% of VM's 5m customers, so with the relatively small number of complaints that we see on here (and get phoned in) there is no pressure from the VM marketing Department on their masters at Liberty Global to replace it just yet. I do agree though, modem mode is the best place for any VM Hub to be and thus having control of your own wifi is the best option.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos