Menu
nathanrogers
Tuning in
Message 11 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Wifi Issues

@finster wrote:
I've been havinge exactly the same connectivity issues it's driving me mad but unplug all the Ethernet ports and Wi-Fi works fine start plugging things back in iwifi ssues resume come on virgin this issue has been going on way too long now!!

Firstly you're certainly not alone with this issue. I've seen numerous people expressing the exact same fault, and the fault doesn't seem to be with a 'bad' Superhub. Replacing it with another Superhub 3 won't fix the issue. It is definitely a fault with the hardware design, as the previous Superhub did not suffer from this issue. This isn't even the only hardware related issue with it either which is frustrating. And the software is also garbage. It is painfully slow, and dumbed down. Advanced features for Pro users have been stripped from it which is nonsensical. 

The Superhub 3 has been plagued with issues ever since it's launch. That wouldn't be much of an issue if Virgin Media addressed these issues and fixed them. This issue where the ethernet ports cause the Wifi to fail has been a problem ever since I received it. Even though I said I had identified problems above this issue is still happening to me. As soon as Wifi stops working, pulling out an ethernet cable that's plugged into it brings the Wifi back to life (but not for long!). Wifi is so poor I use my 4G internet on my phone. This issue never happened on my old Superhub 2 AC, and I really wish I could go back to that router. 

Come on Virgin Media. If someone from your team reads this again you really needs to pass this information on to your hardware team, we pay a good amount of money for this service. And please update use regularly with information from them specifically, that would be really good customer service, and we'd all be grateful for it.

Whatsapc
Joining in
Message 12 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Lots of people seem to be having the same issue with VM latest Hub - Since upgrading to 300Mb and SH 3 had nothing but issues with the WiFi connection, had the Hub replaced as the engineer could not even get it to read the WiFi signal on his equipment, after many frustrating weeks and numerous calls to the Help line i was getting ready to rip it out, but i may have found a work around.

while looking on the net for solutions found the IP address to access the router directly http://192.168.0.1  this access is available to users and the the password can be found on the bottom of the SH 3 router.

Simply switch on the guest wireless network - give it a name and password, then log onto this one instead of the main one, as it is a separate wifi it does not seem to suffer from the same problems WiFi is now stable and consistent - fingers crossed it stays like that worth a try

Whatsapc
Joining in
Message 13 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Had this same issue - this is what I did 

Log onto the Hub Directly http://192.168.0.1  and switch on the Guest network give it a name and password then log onto the guest network instead this is separated from the main WiFi

Your IP address password is on the base of the SH 3 

seems to have sorted my issue of WiFi keep dropping out 

hope it works for you

0 Kudos
pixelkicks
Joining in
Message 14 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I've been having similar WIFI connectivity problems since we had new equipment installed back in February this year.  Actual download & upload speeds are fine, and ethernet connection is perfect.

However my Windows 10 PC, Samsung Galaxy S8 and Amazon Fire HD tablet have problems with wifi.  It can be fine for a while, and everything seems ok, but then the WIFI will just stop working. The devices still show they're connected, but nothing downloads. The only solution is disabling wifi on the phones and using 4G, or restarting the network adapter on Windows 10.  It's hugely frustrating.

Last month, we have a replacement superhub 3.0 installed, but the problem is exactly the same. 

I've just stumbled on this thread, and it now gives me some hope, as we do indeed have our TV connected to the hub via ethernet cable, so when I get home from work I will test this out to see if it fixes the problem.  I've literally tried everything (switching 2G/5G, trying different channels, moving position of hub, replacing the actual hub), so if this works I will be delighted.

I'll update this thread when I've confirmed it works or not.  The TV is brand new, and I have spare ethernet cables lying round to replace - though I could just connect the TV via WIFI.

Chris.

0 Kudos
nathanrogers
Tuning in
Message 15 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@Whatsapc wrote:

Lots of people seem to be having the same issue with VM latest Hub - Since upgrading to 300Mb and SH 3 had nothing but issues with the WiFi connection, had the Hub replaced as the engineer could not even get it to read the WiFi signal on his equipment, after many frustrating weeks and numerous calls to the Help line i was getting ready to rip it out, but i may have found a work around.

while looking on the net for solutions found the IP address to access the router directly http://192.168.0.1  this access is available to users and the the password can be found on the bottom of the SH 3 router.

Simply switch on the guest wireless network - give it a name and password, then log onto this one instead of the main one, as it is a separate wifi it does not seem to suffer from the same problems WiFi is now stable and consistent - fingers crossed it stays like that worth a try

That method may allow you to use your wifi, but it isn't a permanent fix. It is weird how the guest wifi doesn't have the same issues, and is something VM needs to look into. If this works for you then that's a good fix. However if there are people out there that depend on their main wifi network for accessing other computers or NAS equipment locally then this isn't the fix for them. As logging onto the guest wifi may isolate them from other devices on the main network. 

0 Kudos
nathanrogers
Tuning in
Message 16 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@pixelkicks wrote:

I've been having similar WIFI connectivity problems since we had new equipment installed back in February this year.  Actual download & upload speeds are fine, and ethernet connection is perfect.

However my Windows 10 PC, Samsung Galaxy S8 and Amazon Fire HD tablet have problems with wifi.  It can be fine for a while, and everything seems ok, but then the WIFI will just stop working. The devices still show they're connected, but nothing downloads. The only solution is disabling wifi on the phones and using 4G, or restarting the network adapter on Windows 10.  It's hugely frustrating.

Last month, we have a replacement superhub 3.0 installed, but the problem is exactly the same. 

I've just stumbled on this thread, and it now gives me some hope, as we do indeed have our TV connected to the hub via ethernet cable, so when I get home from work I will test this out to see if it fixes the problem.  I've literally tried everything (switching 2G/5G, trying different channels, moving position of hub, replacing the actual hub), so if this works I will be delighted.

I'll update this thread when I've confirmed it works or not.  The TV is brand new, and I have spare ethernet cables lying round to replace - though I could just connect the TV via WIFI.

Chris.

Hi Chris.

Just to update my situation, my wifi is working 100% now, and it took me a while to fix the issue. It's funny because the issue I had must have been present before the Superhub 3 was installed, and wasn't causing issues with the Superhub 2.

The problem was a faulty ethernet cable. The problem was extremely hard to detect because the cable actually worked. I was able to access the internet fine using the computer that the cable was plugged into. And the wifi problems (the same as you have described were exactly the same as mine btw) were the only issues, other equipment plugged into the same network worked fine. So I have no idea how a faulty ethernet cable only interrupted the wifi for certain devices. 

The way I fixed it, and the way I highly recommend you fix it is like this. 

1. Firstly, there is something on your network that is causing interference of some sort. This could be a NAS, network switch, ethernet cable. The important thing is it is something that is plugged into the network, because it has to be something that is permanently attached to the network for it to be causing the problems all of the time.
  2. One by one, start un plugging one device at a time. Then go back to your phone/tablet or device you are having wifi problems on. Use the internet on the device. If you are still having internet issues, then it isn't that device, so move on to the next one.
  3. Eventually you'll narrow it down to a single device or cable. You'll know when you unplug it and your wifi works fine without the problems.

A couple of things you might want to check in case this might be the issue. Every device on your network has it's own local IP address. Importantly the Superhub 3's address is 192.168.0.1 . I have seen some people with this wifi issue who have had devices on their network that have tried to use the same IP address as the superhub 3's. Devices like these could be wifi extenders and smart managed ethernet switches. If a device is trying to use that IP as their default address then both that device and the Superhub 3 will conflict. And this could be a reason why you experience wifi issues. Check any devices like those to see what their default IP address is. They will usually say on a sticker on the device itself. 

Good luck fixing your issues, I hope you can. It took me a while, and I hope any advice I've posted on this thread can help anyone else with the same issues in the future. 

0 Kudos
N13KKF
Joining in
Message 17 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Im having similar issues. Switched from bt to virgin a month ago and the last 3-4 days ive noticed im having these issues as my

Sonos
Hive
Samsung cctv
Amazon fire tv remote control app

Which are all hardwired via ethernet but used over my phones wifi are all having issues when this faults happens with the router i rebooth the router and it work for about 1-2hours and then nothing will connect. Most my stuff is hardwired and i have a few network switches around the house but this issue has only started happening the last 3-4 days also when the issues happens the ethernet cable plugged into laptop isn’t recognised so laptop cant connect to router
0 Kudos
evilhood
Joining in
Message 18 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Just to add my own experience with this problem.

As supplied with the default wifi SSID and password, superhub 3 wifi was fine. However, once I changed the wifi SSID & password to something of my own choosing, the problems started. The connection would regularly drop, intermittent access, etc. Sometimes I would not be able to connect for hours. Interestingly, I have a second wifi in the house to cover the areas where the internal walls block coverage. The Superhub 3 wifi interfered with this, stopping me from connecting and countless dropouts. If I turned off the superhub 3 wifi, the existing wifi worked fine again, so clearly related to the superhub 3.

After quite a lot of tracking and recording what was working / not working, when, what else was connected etc. I think I finally have a solution - although I am still testing to make sure.

I work from home sometimes and have an ethernet cable with one end connected to the superhub 3 and the other only used when I have my work laptop on my desk. With the laptop plugged in, the wifi works (not perfectly, but works), with the laptop not connected - i.e. the cable is plugged in to the superhub but nothing on the other end - the wifi is shocking, constant problems. So, by unplugging the ethernet cable from the superhub, wifi seems to be working fine again. I need to do more thorough testing, but so far so good.

It seems to me that for an ethernet cable to have such a massive impact, there must be something fundamentally wrong with the superhub 3.

0 Kudos
N13KKF
Joining in
Message 19 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the reply, after a further 2-3 weeks dealing with virgin on friday (4 days ago) I received a superhub 2 which i replaced the superhub 3 with and touch wood its been fine with regards to my sonos, hive, cctv and hubble. Although the wifi seems slow and the wifi range isnt great it seems to have solved the previous issue for now. Il see how it goes. 

0 Kudos
campervanfan
Joining in
Message 20 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I'm intrigued that VM agreed to swap your SH3 for a SH2 as recently as 3 weeks ago.  

We have had issues with printing from any Apple device ever since our hub was "upgraded" by VM when they exchanged our faulty Virgin + box with a V6 c 4 weeks ago.   Since then, and due to compatibility issues with our old TV, the V6 has been returned and we have cancelled our VM TV package.  At the same time we started having issues when printing from Apple devices as our reliable and trusty HP110 printer can't be found by any of our Apple devices.  This was never a problem with our old SH1.  There is a 31 page thread on this issue on another VM community page.  

After countless conversations with the VM technical team I was put through to customer relations.  I asked if our new SH3 could be rolled back to a SH2 as our printing saga only started when the SH3 was installed.  I was told categorically - and in no uncertain terms - that VM could not and would not swap out the hub.  We are so disillusioned with VM and their failure to resolve an issue they have known about for at least 2 years that, having been VM customers for c 12 years, we are now looking at other providers.  It seems that VM would prefer to lose loyal customers and sign up new customers than fix issues with a hub that is clearly a problem child for VM.  VM are hell bent on pushing out the SH3 to its long suffering and unsuspecting customers, who also have problems with their SH3 and wireless devices other than Apple (Sonos, Hive to name but two).

0 Kudos