Menu
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Wifi Issues - please help

What wireless devices are you testing with?

About 240Mbps is a very good speed for a single stream wireless AC client, a separate wireless access point will not change this. Wireless is not all about the router despite popular belief on here.

Also, 240Mbps is a decent speed for powerline adapters as they are affected by noise on your electrical mains, I got around 220Mbps wired from my test set I had.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 32
Flag for a moderator

If you mean the Asus RT-AC3200 then this is a Wireless router. Some would say that its "overkill"and just get wireless access points - the Ubiquiti range is well regarded on here.
The Asus will give you good wifi but is also a way better Router than the Hub - it has more processing power and other additional features the Hub doesnt do (at all or well) - so it depends whether you want those features or arent bothered.
The Asus may or may not sort your wifi issues (dont recall what they were!) and could still lead you with "dead spots" that you might still have to get an access point as well - with the added expense - but then again you wont know until you try it. You could get the Asus and send it back if it doesnt solve the issues !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 23 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all.

Ive disconnected the power line adapters. I'm testing wireless on my phone and laptop results are similar.

Main problem we have is the inconsistent wireless signal leading to dropouts. I have 3 kids and a smart home and its pot luck as to whether devices will work. One of kids has Autism and cant understand why stuff doesn't just work so above anything else I want a rock solid wifi connection in the house 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Assuming all is well with your network connection on ethernet devices, to get the best stable wifi coverage possible you will need to provide your own equipment.
So what additional info., other than that already given, do you need?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 25 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Nothing more needed other than recommended products to look at so far have seen the Asus device mentioned and the Unifi range of devices.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 26 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Note that "rock solid wifi connection" can only be guaranteed if you run Ethernet cabling from the hub to one or more wireless access points.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Joining in
Message 27 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes and thanks. I I understand that, any further recommendations on products? 

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 28 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Fair assessment- have been running H3 for two years. After some fiddling with the settings, I enabled 5G with an 80 MB bandwidth and mixed ac A compatibility. Works, strangely enough, for device two and three stories above but only fringe signal at the back of the house.   My wifi 5 enabled PC, MacBook and iPhone can get a 30 Mbps down or better in most of the house. I’m using the 2.4 band for longer distance connections but only 20 Mb bandwidth and much slower. But now with multiple machines at home running vc meetings and dowliafing office files I need faster throughput. So I’m looking for another router.

David Smith, Computer Science Teacher, England, Secondary, Putting legacy devices to good use, Linux Mint, Smart router with hybrid wifi and Homeplug AV2 distribution, Blueyonder pioneer (2001),
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 29 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same issues for a few years now, and yes I have a few devices connected, about 15 at the list time I checked on the app, but some devices would just drop off, but stay connected to the route,with no wifi.

I was told it's my fault I have too many devices. I live in a smaller than average 3 bedroom home, and certainly do nor have as many devices as other people i know. 

Its appalling, and EVERY night it kicks a few devices off but the fin part is you dont know which ones, so sometimes middle of the night my son's ache dot plays a loud bong and glows red as its signal has gone, and wakes him up..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about the WiFi problems you've had Scottandabby.

Checking things over from here today, from a network point of view everything appears to be spot on, however problems with connections to certain devices are highlighted.

WiFi performance can vary due to many different factors. If the WiFi troubleshooting tips here (virg.in/wifihelp) & here (virg.in/WiFiwins) don't help please try our Connect app (available for iOS & Android) for step-by-step WiFi diagnostics via the Broadband tab, and let us know how you get on.

Tom 

0 Kudos