Menu
itsrogan
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 Wifi Issues - please help

I think I'm absolutely about to lose it with the Superhub 3.  Five phone calls to VM, various setting changes and resets and I'm told basically this is good as it gets.  I've got around 20 devices connected to the Superhub (2 wired), ranging from TVs, phones and latptops, to google homes and smart devices.  The network is running 2g and 5g networks.

The problem is devices are syncing at low speeds, then seem to lose internet connnectivity and although still connected to the router, seem to drop off the network.  For a 350Mb service, I'm lucky to get a sync more than 300Mb unless I'm next to the Superhub and only a few devices are on.  Smart Wifi caused massive issues where one device would work one minute, pick another up and it wouldn't.  After the last phone call, the VM engineer pretty much agreed the Superhub is not capable of that many devices and cannot provide strong enough signals or sync rates.    I live in a relatively small house so its not a distance problem.  I am led to believe new equipment is required to get an stable network in my house for all of the technology I have probably spent thousands on to work.  I'm guessing it's a new router and then the superhub in modem mode?  Can any recommend one?

Or anything else I can do?  Virgin Media don't seem to want to help or even care and I've just renewed for another year after many many years of custom.  I'm so angry its unreal. Please help 

0 Kudos
itsrogan
Joining in
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Wifi Issues - please help

So I've purchased an Asus RT-AC3200, lets hope that fixes the problem.  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Should do - report back later on how its performing

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Just one point .. 

"For a 350Mb service, I'm lucky to get a sync more than 300Mb unless I'm next to the Superhub and only a few devices are on."

That's as it should be. The bandwidth to your house is shared by all your connected devices, wired and WiFi.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

300Mbps would be the maximum link speed for a 2 x 2 MIMO wireless N device, wireless speeds do not just depend on the Hub, but wireless client capabilities as well.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Take some load off your WiFi by connecting a gigabit switch to the Asus and plugging into the switch as many devices as possible.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
itsrogan
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

All issues now fixed with the new router. Every device works perfectly, never disconnects and speeds are exactly how they should be. This is proof that the superhub 3 is not up to scratch to run an average home of 4 people with smart devices. I am going to write a complaint, taking it to the highest level and attempt to be reimbursed for the router. Wish me luck.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 is made to suit the majority of consumers, you don't pay for it as it's an included extra to make it easier for the common user to get up and running, if your demands are more than average or beyond the capabilities of the fairly basic Hub then that isn't an issue that's down to Virgin, you simply need to do what you've already done and acquire third party networking hardware.
As you're still receiving the service to your home (since you're paying for the actual connection and not the Hub) there is nothing to be reimbursed for.
0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Does this still work? What kind of speeds are you getting on WiFi ?

@itsrogan wrote:

All issues now fixed with the new router. Every device works perfectly, never disconnects and speeds are exactly how they should be. This is proof that the superhub 3 is not up to scratch to run an average home of 4 people with smart devices. I am going to write a complaint, taking it to the highest level and attempt to be reimbursed for the router. Wish me luck.

0 Kudos
xxalanxx
Dialled in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Have I missed the warning in the terms and conditions about the Hub having limited capabilities? 

0 Kudos