cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Turn off Intelligent Wi-Fi& Split SSID’s

UltimateVolter
Tuning in

Hoping this post will help others in getting a better Wi-Fi connection around their home. Specifically aimed at those with a SuperHub 3.

For months on end now the Wi-Fi has been diabolical in my Home (3 bed semi, all brick walls). Constant dropping out on the Wi-Fi, all our iPhones in the house were atrocious, whenever you left the room where the router was you’d still show as having signal but literally no data would work on the phones. Also recently upgraded to 600mb broadband and added on TV which included 2 x 360 boxes. We also have one of these Wi-Fi pods upstairs plugged in the front bedroom to help with Wi-Fi. Again the signal has been terrible, the 360 mini barely works and constantly crashes when there is no internet connection to it, granted channels still work but the functionality of the box is massively reduced and is so slow.

Since upgrading to 600mb Wi-Fi speed tests never went above 300mb, not once, even after placing phone right next to the SuperHub.

Was completely at my wits end with it all when I decided as a last ditch attempt I would disable the ‘intelligent’ Wi-Fi in the SuperHub settings and then split the SSIDs, so I had one 2G and one 5G. I believe they used to be like this years ago as we had virgin before and the SuperHub 3 used to perform to a decent standard, about 4 years ago this was.

Anyway, since doing the above the difference in the Wi-Fi performance has been PHENOMENAL, it’s like a completely different router. I’ve connected the upstairs 360 box to the 2G network which is showing at 98% signal strength and is capable of Ultra HD streaming according to the diagnostics, all streaming since has been perfect, whereas before you were lucky to get the apps load.

Our iPhones actually work in rooms other than the living room, no data dropouts, just a decent solid connection.

I connected my iPhone to the 5G network of the hub and sat next to the router, the first speed test I did hit 541mb down, this was whilst the kids were using Netflix. So instantly the Wi-Fi speeds are faster, and consistent, all speed test since have been above 500mb, before I was lucky to hit 300mb, most tests had been around 150/200mb.

So anybody who is having the same sort of issues, I suggest you do as I have and I can imagine you’ll experience the same results. It’s almost as if the intelligent Wi-Fi made the SuperHub faulty. And the Virgin Connect App was terrible to go along with it, if you wanted to test to get an extra pod because you were experiencing a poor connection in a room, the app didn’t even work, so after resetting phone etc when it eventually did connect and do the Wi-Fi scan it said coverage was excellent when clearly it wasn’t.

As with all things in life DIY, and the results will be much better.

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately the VM Hubs will not work with the VM Pods if you split the SSID and disable the "Intelligent Wifi" ...  It's all part of the Wifi Max guarantee from VM. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes I know this, what I’m saying is that turning off ‘Intelligent Wi-Fi’ and turning off the Wi-Fi Pod, then splitting the SSIDs to different networks - the Wi-Fi performance is honestly a million times better. Not even an exaggeration, it’s like I’ve had a completely different service installed.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just keep an eye on your changes, as sometimes the Hub will set it all back to factory settings again.  But glad you got it sorted to suit your needs 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM clear must of said “make the pod look good with the hub” and the magic genie granted VM wish.
---------------------------------------------------------------

0AEA80EA-914A-46E0-AF72-0D2C023F0DD4.png

never once went above 300 with intelligent Wi-Fi enabled, today I got this