Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 In Modem Mode --> x2 External Routers

Ok here's what should be a straight forward question...

1.png

• I have a Superhub 3.0 in modem mode.
  • Connected is an Apple Airport Extreme router

The above works beautifully and have zero speed or connectivity issues.  

However, my question is this...
...have recently acquired a Cisco Meraki MR33 router and to experiment with its functionality wanted to plug it into the existing network.

2.png

I managed this by connecting this Meraki box into a spare port of the Airport router and it auto-configured and all is well.  

However and this is where the reason for the post comes in...

...try as I might, I could not get the Meraki router to connect, by plugging into one of the remaining superhub network ports alongside the Airport router.

My presumption that this won't work is because when in modem mode, the superhub only allows for one external router to be used and not x2 or more?

Is this the case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 In Modem Mode --> x2 External Routers

Only the one Ethernet port is active on the hub in modem mode.

You'll need to connect additional devices to the spare ports on the Airport router. 

The MR33 is also a cloud managed access point and not a router and requires a license and subscription to manage it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah , I presumed as much regarding active ports in modem mode, thanks for confirming
Regarding the Meraki box, I have a licence and am using it as an additional wifi solution... long story 🙂

Im curious to see if I plug a small network switch into the "active modem mode" superhub port and then in turn, plug both the airport and Meraki boxes into the network hub and see if they both can connect....

... to be continued 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why can’t you use a port on the Airport?

If you connect it into the modem port with a switch as you suggest, where will it get its DHCP from?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can / did use a port on the airport, but my reasoning for wanting to use one of the other superhub ports for the Meraki is for backup purposes.
So for example if Im rebooting the airport with the Meraki plugged into it (I tried this) ... the Meraki becomes unavailable until the airport finishes restarting!

Yeah I realise if the airport goes pop, its just a quick wiring job to plug in the Meraki, but still, it was more out of convenience (laziness) 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@gcarter I'm afraid to say that you absolutely can't do what you want to do, it won't work! And the reason is not because of only one port being active on the Hub, it's more to do because in modem mode, the Hub becomes a simple bridge, passing the public IP address across to only one device, there is only one IP address so you simply can't have two devices connected and expect them both to work.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It’s quite scary that someone with a Cisco license and access to the cloud management platform doesn’t realise this TBH...

0 Kudos